Latest Posts

Topic: Weapon reuse?

WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-29, 12:53

I don't like the idea of changing the old tribes that much. And anyway, the recycling center was also an idea for compensating the horrible mines of the frisians. I can see in the lua-files that Nordfriese or someone else improved the mines a lot, so maybe that's the reason for your idea that the frisians are overpowered?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-29, 13:46

I also do not like the idea of recycling weapon much. It will fundamentally change the balance of the 3 original tribes and it also a very unexpected behavior given the rest of Widelands economy. Following the recycling logic, why should a farm not output human edible and animal edible crop. Why would the pig farm not provide fertilizer? Why would the sawmill not supply the forester with wood pieces.

I think the frisians must be balanced against the three existing tribes, not the other way around.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-29, 16:44

SirVer wrote:

I also do not like the idea of recycling weapon much. It will fundamentally change the balance of the 3 original tribes and it also a very unexpected behavior given the rest of Widelands economy. Following the recycling logic, why should a farm not output human edible and animal edible crop. Why would the pig farm not provide fertilizer? Why would the sawmill not supply the forester with wood pieces.

One could argue that Widelands doesn't simulate the whole reality anyway face-wink.png

I think the frisians must be balanced against the three existing tribes, not the other way around.

+1

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-29, 20:17

And anyway, the recycling center was also an idea for compensating the horrible mines of the frisians. I can see in the lua-files that Nordfriese or someone else improved the mines a lot

Yes, I did some major balancing tweaks to the frisians recently and improved the mines.

The recycling was originally intended to balance the bad mines, but I became aware of another great disadvantage: Other tribes can train soldiers with only food to level 2, and with no gold up to level ~7. Frisians don´t get any training without iron, and only to level 3 without gold. Now, the recycling balances this huge training disadvantage; inefficient mines mustn´t be another great difficulty. They are more efficient now (about as good as barbarian/empire shallow mine) – yet they are still more expensive to run, as rations can be produced with cheap fruit but this is penalized with +50% (time) if you can´t provide your taverns with expensive smoked fish/meat.

Therefore, I think the recycling centre doesn´t give the frisians a "real" (uncompensated) advantage over the other tribes. But it would give these a fairly great advantage over the frisians if they were able to recycle weapons as well. So I think recycling should be possible only for frisians.

True

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-11-30, 09:50

I do not think the Frisians are overpowered, but I was thinking that some people will think they are if they have recycling and nobody else does.

I made a start on the branch and will complete it to a working state so people can test it and see what they think in practice rather than theory. It may never get merged but it least it may get tested. My initial ideas were that other tribes would not be as efficient as Frisians when recycling.

Nordfriese, you may find the scrap metal images in my brach better than those you have, I made them years ago for another game.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-30, 14:12

Nordfriese wrote:

And anyway, the recycling center was also an idea for compensating the horrible mines of the frisians. I can see in the lua-files that Nordfriese or someone else improved the mines a lot

Yes, I did some major balancing tweaks to the frisians recently and improved the mines.

The recycling was originally intended to balance the bad mines, but I became aware of another great disadvantage: Other tribes can train soldiers with only food to level 2, and with no gold up to level ~7. Frisians don´t get any training without iron,

Even no fur training?

and only to level 3 without gold. Now, the recycling balances this huge training disadvantage; inefficient mines mustn´t be another great difficulty. They are more efficient now (about as good as barbarian/empire shallow mine) – yet they are still more expensive to run, as rations can be produced with cheap fruit but this is penalized with +50% (time) if you can´t provide your taverns with expensive smoked fish/meat.

But you can just build another tavern or enhance it face-wink.png

Therefore, I think the recycling centre doesn´t give the frisians a "real" (uncompensated) advantage over the other tribes.

Well, maybe I should test the frisians face-wink.png

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-12-14, 15:31

Branch 8515 is available for testing.

The economy of all tribes is only slightly affected in the tests I have done, about 25% of wares used in creating upgrade armour or weapons get returned at a cost of increased coal use. This amount can be increased or decreased following more testing. Currently AI seems to ignore the building which gives humans an advantage.

All tribes, including Frisians, seem to maintain their current balance for human players but I would appreciate more testing and comments on how it works with different play styles.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-14, 16:57

Tinker wrote:

Currently AI seems to ignore the building which gives humans an advantage.

I looked at barbarians and recycling centre is considered a basic building, so should be automatically built as a part of basic economy. Or is it not?

UPDATE:

I see that only barbarians has the basic amount set..., maybe this should be separate category of buildings within AI...

Edited: 2017-12-14, 20:39

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-14, 20:42

BTW, it crashes with:

Could not read tribes information: [/var/widelands2/BZR/recycling_centre/src/scripting/lua_errors.cc:22] [/var/widelands2/BZR/recycling_centre/src/scripting/lua_errors.cc:22] [/var/widelands2/BZR/recycling_centre/src/logic/map_objects/tribes/productionsite.cc:198] program work: call: the program "make_spidersilk" has not (yet) been declared in Recycling Centre (wrong declaration order?)

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-12-15, 09:23

Thanks for the feedback.

I am a little unclear on how to define and set basic buildings, I would think recycling centres are not basic, they are only of use after training sites start working. Currently I am just using each tribes smelter with altered input/output queues.

I will look at the atlantians, it is working for me, but perhaps I have a local copy out of sync. I cannot test much as since my last update I get segmentation faults after 15 minutes with no clear idea on the cause.

Top Quote