Latest Posts

Topic: running out of fish with atlantis

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-10-15, 21:58

i often play with atlantis and i have a problem: my fishers run out of fish. of course i do build fish breeders. one for every fisher. then, seeing as they still run out of fish, i tried to make 3 fish breeder for every 2 fisher. still run out of fish. suspecting that it may have to do with range, and if a fisher depleted a small zone that set a chain of events that would stop fish breeders to work properly, i made sure to always make the fish breeders close to the sea than the fishers. i even ended up surrounding the fisheries with fish breeders. all to no avail. i get out of fish messages. i generally ignore the messages, because most of gthe times they are wrong. the fishery just keeps working. it's probably a bug/glitch. but sometimes, a fishery stops working and doesn't recover. even if it is surrounded by breeders, and the breeders were working just fine until a minute before. note that this doesn't always happen. sometimes i have an area with 5 breeders and 5 fishers in no particular order, and that one never run out of fish, while one with 2 fishers and 4 breeders get exhausted. it seems completely random. do anyone have any idea on why it is doing that?

Top Quote
tuggyne

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-10-15, 23:11

I don't know exactly what causes it, although I've heard it's a quirk of the way the fish resource is managed. Usually I manage it if it happens by stopping the fishers until the breeders have had a chance to get things back in line, but that doesn't always work well either.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-10-16, 16:06

Might be related to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1350259

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-10-16, 22:04

As I understand as it works - fishers picks a field and try to catch a fish there - if there is no fish, then you get "no resources". But next time it can pick a field with at least one fish and he is succesfull. Also I noted that 'fish' capacity of coast differs significantly. I tested on a map right now and found capacity (in DBG window) varying from x/2 to x/20. And this can make a difference. If I presume that fish breeder also picks a random field and tries to add a fish there, and a field can be full like 2/2 (and next one empty 0/2) - you understand the consequencies of too low fish capacity....

But my advice is - just ignore it - your approach is good, nothing more can be done here face-smile.png

If I understand it properly, the fisher can catch fishes directly on coast and on next field.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-10-17, 11:07

If this message comes too soon, we can set it up with a delay. e.g. the woodcutter only complains after 60 unsuccessful attempts to find a tree. This is set in the conf file with delay_attempts=60.

What do you guys think would be an appropriate value for the fisher's hut/house?

ETA: If you wish to experiment with the settings, the conf files are in tribes/<tribe name>/<building name>

Edited: 2014-10-17, 14:28

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-10-17, 20:33

No one of fishers huts has this setting. The counter resets with succesfull fishing?

Values in other buildings are in range 10-60, so value 10 would do no harm, I think.

==EDIT==

Also I wonder when is the fish capacity defined - in map (=in editor), or is calculated during game based on surrounding fields.

Edited: 2014-10-17, 20:50

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-10-17, 22:08

If this option isn't specified in the conf, it simply defaults to 0. Which means fishers complain after the first unsucessful attempt.

As far as I remember, the counters don't reset. Implementation is in logic/productionsite.cc.

I don't know how the capacity works. The notifications are hooked on the worker going out and finding no fish.

However, if the fisher goes out unsuccessfully often enough, he will have a resource problem in any case, because if he fishes off too much, there will be nothing left for the fish breeders to regenerate.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-10-17, 22:32

because if he fishes off too much, there will be nothing left for the fish breeders to regenerate.

You mean that fish breeder needs to have a fish there to breed fish? If there is field with 0 fish, he will never be able to add a fish there?

Top Quote
tuggyne

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-10-17, 22:56

Tibor wrote:

because if he fishes off too much, there will be nothing left for the fish breeders to regenerate.

You mean that fish breeder needs to have a fish there to breed fish? If there is field with 0 fish, he will never be able to add a fish there?

To the best of my knowledge, this is in fact the case.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-10-17, 23:10

tuggyne wrote:

Tibor wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, this is in fact the case.

So once there is no fish in the water, no matter how many fish breeders are on the coast, fish will never be recovered? That is really bad.

Top Quote