Latest Posts

Topic: Big upcoming string changes

fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-03-07, 23:31

@GunChleoc: I've already found the old .po files, I'll let you know if something important is still missing.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-08, 07:27

Great! face-smile.png

Let me know if you need any more help.

MiroslavR wrote: That's not what I meant. My translation files waiting in the import queue are marked as "Needs Review". What I actually thought was ensuring that the file can be imported successfully, rather than checking the quality of the translation. I don't expect you to speak every language. face-smile.png

I found 1 file you uploaded that still had a "Needs Review" tag, so I've set it to "Reviewed" manually.

Make sure that you are in Reviewer mode when uploading files, it might make a difference. Translations will still show up as "Needs Review" for a while though, because the status only changes after Launchpad has made its automated checks.

Also, Gun, I think there's something wrong with these:

• PAGEUP: increases games peed
  • PAGEDOWN: decreases games peed

Thanks. I have fixed this and it will be available once the code has been merged.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 16:17

@GunChleoc:

"Your Barracks discovered an aggressor."

Shouldn't this be:

"Your %s discovered an aggressor."

?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 17:57

No, because that would cause grammar problems in my language.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 18:33

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I would guess that this can be solved with a single/plural construction.

Top Quote
teh.f4ll3n
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 19:24
GunChleoc
No, because that would cause grammar problems in my language.

And mine too. Such a construction would make it really awkward to translate the game into any language that has more than one noun case (http://masterrussian.com/blprevious.shtml#cases). You'd have to code for all the multiple cases possible. Russian has 6 cases for each singular and plural, and that's not even a lot. Estonian has 14 each. Even having done that, how do you make it use the correct case depending on translation's context? I can translate the same sentence in several different ways and each would require a different noun case.

It's kinda easier to translate a set string into any required language without having to code for all possible cases in all languages in the world :D
Edited: 2014-03-10, 19:32

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 19:36

No, because there is no singular/plural involved. Here are some examples:

Barracks = taighean-feachd
Your Barracks discovered an aggressor. = Mhothaich *na* taighean-feachd agad air ionnsaighear.

Now, let's have the

Guardhouse  = bothan-faire
Your Guardhouse discovered an aggressor.  Mhothaich *am* bothan-faire agad air ionnsaighear.

Or the citadel:

Citadel = cathair =>  Mhothaich *a'* c*h*athair  agad air ionnsaighear.

Now, this could be resolved with "%s discovered an aggressor.", "Your Barracks". Then my strings could look like this:

"Mhothaich %s agad air ionnsaighear.", with %s = "na taighean-feachd agad", "am bothan-faire agad". "a' chathair agad".

However, we also have this:

The enemy defeated your soldiers at the Guardhouse = Chuir an nàmhaid ruaig air a' bhothan-fhaire agad

This means that I would have to translate "Your Guardhouse" as "am bothan-faire agad" and "a' bhothan-fhaire agad" at the same time, which is of course impossible.

Of course, one could use the gettext context function for this, but then we would have to code all the conf files accordingly and modify our python script again so it will collect these strings. It is much easier for translators to use Copy/Paste or a translation memory, and translators will also not have to think about which string is in the subject position and which string is in the object position. Also, done one tribe, done them all, because Launchpad will give you the suggestions - the strings are identical for all tribes. The extra work per translator is about 5-10 minutes, and I can't think of a better solution to the problem.

BTW leave the stronghold, the building will disappear soon. Also the compatibility for "build13" strings.

ETA: Cross-posted with teh.f4ll3n. Please do not let my long post discourage you from offering further suggestions on any string face-smile.png

Edited: 2014-03-10, 19:37

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 20:05

@GunChleoc: Okay, I was just checking. Thanks.

But this struck me:

"the stronghold, the building will disappear soon."

That would cause a very large problem. Do you happen to know where this has been decided?

Edited: 2014-03-10, 20:06

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-10, 20:23

This has been decided after build13, so a long time ago. It was only kept so long to be compatible with old savegames.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/787508

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-03-11, 18:08

@Gunchleoc,

I see, bad luck. OT:

"Blackroot Field (harvested)"

"Helmkruidveld (geoogst)" versus "Geoogst Helmkruidveld"

Both are okay, but if we want it that way, why not in English as well?

Same for mines.

Secondly, I would like to remove the redundant capitals for nouns in the Dutch language (it is very non dutch), unless there is a strong argument against it. I think that they ought not to be used in the English language as well.

Top Quote