Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Swedish translation dictionary

DaggeTeo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-22, 09:27

I figured I'd start a dictionary for Swedish. It is not finished and I'd appreciate anyone willing to help out of course! http://wl.widelands.org/wiki/TranslationDictionarySwedish/

Side note: I found it difficult to navigate to http://wl.widelands.org/wiki/TranslationDictionary/. In fact I only found it thanks to Qcumber-some.

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-04-22, 17:36

The page on translation dictionaries is linked to from the translation page. This in turn is linked to from both the "Development" and "Wanna help?" links in the menu. Both of which are likely routes new (or aspiring) translators will check out. Though if you feel it is missing or would logically fit other places as well, feel free to add a link.

Ships!

Top Quote
DaggeTeo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-22, 17:42

Oh, I can see it clearly now. Oops!

Top Quote
lemones
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2013-09-24, 02:39

Some words is harder to translate because of the Swedish grammar.

Back - Tillbaka / Bakom
If Back as in 'Behind', it's Bakom.
If Back as in 'Back to reality', it's Tillbaka.

Destroy - Förgör / Förstör
When you destroy/kill a living creature, it's Förgör.
When you destroy a building or a thing, it's Förstör.
- Vakt1 Förgör Fiende2 - Guard1 Destroy Enemy2
- Vakt1 Förstör Byggnad2 - Guard1 Destroy Building2
or
- Destroy him - Förgör honom
- Destroy it - Förstör den
It all depend on the situation and what's being, or going to be, destroyed. If you have some sentences the word is being used in, I could do a more correct translation.

Hitpoints - The raw translation to Swedish is Träffpoäng, but in Sweden you more likely use the word Liv(=Life) instead. (Jag har 10 Liv av 100 / I have 10 Lives of 100.)

Evade - I would need a sentence of that word in use for a correct translation

Autocrat - The translation would be Autokrat, but most people would not understand the meaning of it because it's a very uncommon used word in Sweden. There are some better alternatives, like Tyrann(Tyrant) or Härskare(Ruler).

Those are the words I find hard to translate right now. The rest is a cake and I'll do most of them when i wake up tomorrow. :)
- Jim

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-09-24, 06:30

Wow! That is a big achievement translating the game completely. Great work and congratulations for that!

In professional software development, the translators usually get example sentences for each tagged string, so that they know what to translate. Unfortunately, we do not have the manpower to do so in Widelands. There are two ways of coping with this: either wing it (and risk a wrong translation which can be fixed over time when people notice) or leave it empty (which will motivate people that find a nearly 100% game with a few non translated strings to contribute the translations. They then also know the context and can enter the correct term).

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-09-24, 09:44

Please note that the actual translation is done on https://translations.launchpad.net/widelands/trunk/+lang/sv, the dictionary on our homepage is just a collection of commonly used words so that they are easier to find (this is sometimes a bit tricky on Launchpad). You should look at the site to use the same words for consistency. If you do the translation on Launchpad, there is a source ("Located in ...") at the bottom of each entry which gives you some information about the context.

Concerning you problems:

• Back is probably in menus ("back to main menu")
  • Destroy is probably for a building (the interaction that the player can destroy (burn down) his building)
  • Evade is an ability of soldiers: By evading, they avoid being hit by an enemy. Some more information about soldiers can be found at https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/SoldierLevels/. If it helps, you can also have a look at the Norwegian translations at Launchpad (AFAIK, the languages are very similar).
  • If the direct translation is unusual in Swedish, you can use another word that you think is more appropriate. This is your decision. If someone does not like it, he can change it himself.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-09-28, 13:32

If it helps, you can also have a look at the Norwegian translations at Launchpad (AFAIK, the languages are very similar).

When translating to Norwegian I have looked up either the Swedish or Danish translations to see how they have dealt with tricky words from time to time at least. face-smile.png Should work the other way round too, I suppose.

I guess most translators know this, but on your user page on Launchpad, it is possible to edit the list of languages you will see suggestions from. For one-off occasions, it is probably easier to toggle between the various languages for the string in question, but if you end up doing it a lot, it can be easier to simply display the other languages as translation suggestions.

Ships!

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-09-28, 14:04

After reading this discussion, I took a look at the Finnish translation, and noticed that it is lagging behind, badly. After a while, I started wondering some things:

There are some items like "%s is %s because %s". Now, If that happens occurs at multiple times, where the %s:s are grammatically different, then also fluent translations would differ. Given infinite amount of time, I would translate all those differently. The web interface does not seem to allow me to do that. Is there a way to get around?

Is there a way to swap the order of all the %s:s in the above example?

What would be the least invasive way to test the translations? When sentences are translated in pieces (like above), some apparent things just do not work when the grammatics are different enough. The only way to get things fluent would be to test (or read code to inspect the actual use cases, which might be equally fast but sometimes playing would be funnier way to do it)?

When are R18 translations frozen?

Top Quote