Latest Posts

Topic: Blender 2.5 Alpha2

KittenKoder
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-04-06, 11:15

Alright, here's my method, at least if I was to do graphics for a game like this: http://digitalnoisegraffiti.com/backups/template.blend

First, if you don't realize it, that's a direct download link to my junk folder, so some browsers will try to open it as a text file because they don't know what it is, just right click and "save as ..."

Now, the fun part. This one has it all, literally, it will not only save the images when you click "Animate" to render the animation, it will also rename the files correctly to the name for character sprites. Setting up the animation cycle for those new to Blender may seem a bit daunting, but it's not as hard as it seems. Go into the curve editor, select the channels that actually do something one by one and add the cycles modifier, the defaults work just fine. It will animate the eight facings for ten frames of animation, I'll update it soon to make it easy to customize the number of frames without editing the script and scene rotation. If you use cloth modifiers it won't be effected by the rotation either, the lighting and camera rotate by default.

The reason for this method is actually because someone on IRC mentioned not having a decent way to track rendering progress with the original script, there is no good way to do that so I offered some advice and I don't think they understood what I was talking about, so I made this file. There is one trick to the script used in this file, it's a small one but can be a bit confusing, let me know if you need help with the material nodes.

If the sea claims it, it belongs to the sea. If the land claims it, it still belongs to the sea.

Top Quote
KittenKoder
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-04-07, 13:03

Csirke said that most of the stuff I did on it was redundant, however, the method I used for the player color render is better, according to him. So, I recommend you check out how I did that part then let me know if you have any questions. Also, a recommendation to all those making animations, to make the animations smoother from the last to the first frame in the loop, set the fcurves to cycle, go to the curve editor and select the channels that have actual movements then add the cyclic modifier to them. It will make all the animations except cloth or soft body modifiers, smoother.

Oh, and I'll work on a script to update all materials in any one file to accommodate the better technique for the player color. It will create the node groups, one for the materials and the one for the compositor, the custom property to drive the compositor one. The material node settings won't work with drivers so you will have to either manually adjust that or add it into the script you prefer to use.

Edited: 2013-04-07, 13:07

If the sea claims it, it belongs to the sea. If the land claims it, it still belongs to the sea.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-08-05, 04:57

I am sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I tried to rerender some workers that did not have player colors (barbarian miner and gamekeeper) and I couldn't do it. After a long search I found the Widelands render menu where I could select which view of the worker should be rendered. But I was unable to start the rendering of the worker. How do I do this and could someone document this more clearly in the Wiki? Thanks for your help!

Top Quote