Latest Posts

Topic: How to use the scout

Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-11, 17:15

Is this a bug? Or is there a way to make the scouts move in a certain direction or always explore new areas that i havn't noticed?

Hi Personal_Joke,

this is not a bug, I guess you placed the scout quite central instead of placing it near to unknown area, which would explain the behaviour. Let me explain how the scout works, that will hopefully solve your problem face-smile.png :

1) The scout checks beginning from small radius up to a specific radius(don't know the number at the moment) around his house, whether there is completely unknown area (most important "certain radius - so the hut must be near unknown area) 1a) if he found one ore more possible areas, he randomly picks one of these and starts scouting in this direction. Once he reaches the area and saw everything he begins anew to search around him for unknwon area until his time has come to go home (so behaves like in 1 just from the new position) 1b) he does not find unknown area in any of the radius he checked, but found hidden area that has not been seen for at least 10 minutes - in that case he starts walking there and checks further for unknown area until his time has come to go home (so behaves like in 1 just from the new position) 1c) he does neither find an unknown area nor a hiden area that has not been seen in the last 10 minutes - the scout will stay at home, or if this happens after he is already scouting, he goes home.

Cheers Peter

Top Quote
Personal_Joke

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-08-12, 15:33

Thanks Nasenbaer :). I might have built it a little too far from the unknown area as I havn't had many issues with scouts since.

Top Quote
mr.x

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-04, 23:24

Sorry about the necro

But is it me or does the scout work best scouting south? I generaly try not to start down on a map because the scouts i build, does not scout north properly

Top Quote
alocritani

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-04-05, 13:50

mr.x wrote: Sorry about the necro But is it me or does the scout work best scouting south? I generaly try not to start down on a map because the scouts i build, does not scout north properly

Scout gives priority to exploring unknown areas, so maybe you already explored north?

Top Quote
mr.x

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-07, 18:37

Hello

I thnk theres a bug here. if you start down on a map the scout is less usefull, as he will assume your north and start scouting south.

now after he has done a few trips south, then he will peak at north\east. But that will take a while, and he will never go as far this way as south. and in between the re-scouting of south, at best it will take an hour to have a glimps north.

playing 17rc 1 the big lake as atlaeans position 6

Top Quote
mr.x

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-07, 19:25

built a new scout east, near black border, and put the speed up.

the new scout filled in some spots north, but did not even try to go east or south east. i did chatch him west\south west when i checked in. 2-3h game time

Top Quote