Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Empire Seafaring Graphics

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 13:27

Thanks for the great ideas. I, too, have considered a form of signal fire/lighthouse for each tribe's port. I really like Peter's idea of a statue to hold the empire's "fire bowl". And definitely some form of blue crystal fire for the atlanteans. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 14:40

I think, a lighthouse (even if just a small tower on top of a building)would be far too civilized for the Barbarians. I'd prefer a signal fire next to the building instead. AFAIK the first lighthouse which was a tower rather than just a fire on the ground in northern Europe was built in 1172. All earlier ligthouses, such as the Pharos, Colossus, Hercules tower seem associated with relatively highly-civilized cultures.

Philipp

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 14:51

Sorry, I forgot about the lighthouse of Dover, but that one was built by the Romans, and AFAIK was not maintained any more after the Romans left.

Philipp

P.S.: Here's an image of AFAIK the only Roman lighthouse still operational today: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/A_coruna_torre_de_hercules_sunset_edit.jpg

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-02, 15:59

Great photo of the Roman lighthouse!

PkK wrote: I think, a lighthouse (even if just a small tower on top of a building)would be far too civilized for the Barbarians. I'd prefer a signal fire next to the building instead.

I agree with you on this point.

New Thread

I'm convinced now that a new thread is in order. We are getting comments spread between the empire and barbarian seafaring threads and we may as well lump these port buildings together as they all serve the same purpose. So I have started the New Port Buildings thread.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-23, 20:26

Hi Chuck,
Today, for the fitrst time I had a chance to see Imperial seafaring "in action". This is really a masterpiece! Very, very nice!

And it took that demonstration to understand what you wrote about the heeling of ships in general in the barbarian seafaring thread.
Since nobody has yet commented on the size requirement of the animations as to whether we need to show some modesty there, I'll give you my preferences "in case".
Don't touch the "idle" animation, please. The swaying is pretty much perfect, and can't be improved - period.
When the ships sail they always seem to do so "before the wind", which is fine, since that's what these square riggers mostly did. The swaying there also fits very good, but it is not quite as noticible as with the idle animation. So if needs be, we might do without, but not gladly.

There is one little flaw only: ships going "upward" on the map show a strange blinking on the stern right underneath of the platform.

Really, those ships are just great!

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-03-23, 22:48

Astuur wrote: Hi Chuck, Today, for the fitrst time I had a chance to see Imperial seafaring "in action". This is really a masterpiece! Very, very nice!

Thank you! face-smile.png

And it took that demonstration to understand what you wrote about the heeling of ships in general in the barbarian seafaring thread.

(Here is a link to that post) - cw

Since nobody has yet commented on the size requirement of the animations as to whether we need to show some modesty there, I'll give you my preferences "in case".
Don't touch the "idle" animation, please. The swaying is pretty much perfect, and can't be improved - period.
When the ships sail they always seem to do so "before the wind", which is fine, since that's what these square riggers mostly did. The swaying there also fits very good, but it is not quite as noticible as with the idle animation. So if needs be, we might do without, but not gladly.

There is one little flaw only: ships going "upward" on the map show a strange blinking on the stern right underneath of the platform.

I thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will take a look at it. I suspect it is the same anomaly as the "flashing" on the Atlantean ship. (See Bug #960370)

Really, those ships are just great!

Oh, I must agree with you! face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote