(where can I post the updated images?)

Edited: 2009-05-24, 21:47

Top Quote
ilguido

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-05-24, 22:43

By the way, what about some support figurine like in "The Settlers II"?

I sketched this (scroll down): http://wido.freehostia.com/prova/

My idea is to have different figurines as the game advances, to suggest to the player that he is getting deeper into the game (game-play or game-story):

*) In the tutorial: almost nude figurines (like in the sketch).

*) During the first missions of the campaign: lightly equipped figurines (a figurine with a sickle, the other one with a dagger).

*) During the last missions of the campaign: well equipped figurines (hammer and pincers, sword and shield).

Top Quote
Dwarik

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-05-24, 23:54

My First impressions of the idea

• Probally just me, but i'm not a big fan of the almost nude style. (personally) i would prefer from rags -> slightly better armor -> cool looking battle armor.

• We don't really have enough campaigns to be worth it. (this is not so much criticism against your idea, but more a caution is it really worth the effort or is it just a 'we'll do it in 2048' idea.

• I don't know how it's done in settlers II, but if we do this i'd like to also see some other feedback in game. what i mean with this is that you get a bigger HQ (slightly more starting goods and better looking) or the max lvl soldier increase or something like that. that way you could also use it in multiplayer. you could put everyone on 'well equipped' and the graphics would match. it would be a waste to only see the graphics in the campain (which is severely lacking atm)

Edited: 2009-05-26, 00:18

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-05-25, 18:16

How about a first step:

having one of those corner graphics for each tribe? than later on (based upon those tribe graphics) there could be different versions that could be used either in campaign or like Dwarik mentioned - in different points of strength of the player.

And just to avoid comments like "I don't want my window filled with such graphics" - it should not be a problem to implement an option for switching those graphics off, if someone really dislikes them.

So generally: Good idea! And the sketch looks already promising.

Ahh and the name of the map should best be written by the engine so every map would show the fitting name - so don't put too much work in the name block face-smile.png

Cheers Nasenbaer

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-05-25, 19:13

Personally I would disable it, but good idea anyway. face-wink.png

Nasenbaer wrote:
Ahh and the name of the map should best be written by the engine so every map would show the fitting name - so don't put too much work in the name block

I'd say put some work into the name block, just do not fill it.

Top Quote