Latest Posts

Topic: How to force production? (stop skip production)

player123

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-09-04, 04:40

That is all well and nice, but the economy IMO needs to be able to recognize that things are being held up (for example because of transporting goods too far) and do something about it, like unskipping production at the nearest factory until the need is met.

Second the economy should always order goods from the closest warehouse to construction, then the next closest (if the closest has none) and so on. If a warehouse with none but a skipped factory close could unskip the factory and deliver quicker than a distant warehouse then that is what the economy should do.

Besides which, IMO it is very important to have warehouses with stock of essential items in them and preferably a toolsmith close by. Otherwise you risk an enemy destroying all your warehouses (my favorite tactic, especially when enemies only guard them with a sentry hut) and being rendered unable to build anything.

Edited: 2011-09-04, 04:45

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-05, 11:15

Never happened in Settlers 1 & 2.

You must have been playing a different version of S2 then me. It happened for me all the time and in fact, on big maps, I even lost people and goods would never arrive because the economy code couldn't cope. Or on another note: The widelands economy is not perfect but it is much better than the S2 economy, I've played both games literally for days and feel that I am an expert on them.

Nevertheless, improvements would always be nice. Finding the ideal solution for each ware is a very hard combinatorial problem though and only heurisitcs are available to solve it, we are always interested in improvements. So feel free to provide patches!

Top Quote
player123

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-09-05, 11:49

Never really had a problem in Settlers 2. Settlers 1, goods could definitely get lost among the flags, and I've been playing Settlers 1 since it first released on the Commodore Amiga.

I'd have to go through the source code and see if I could contribute anything. Doubtful though, It's been a fair while since I've written anything and certainly nothing as complex as this.

My suggestion is for each building site, generate a list of the 3 nearest warehouses and if they can't supply what the site needs, then unskip a factory in that same area (if possible that can produce the goods). The closer to an enemy border the more urgent the need for quick production. More urgent still if it is a military building. For non building sites, you can probably continue to use the old system.

Top Quote