Latest Posts

Topic: Music styles and themes

solatis

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-18, 12:58

Saturn and me just started to discuss if it would be a good idea to have some kind of widelands-specific musicstyle, or even recurring themes to give wideland's music some 'brand'. What do you all think of it?

And is it an realistic try? How can we organize it?

I think, if we want to give it a try we need some good ideas to exchange our musical themes, to discuss about styles and exchange small fracments of notes. Since this is even not easy to discuss if we all speak the same language it will be even harder for us. And it have to be possible for new composers to get an overview quickly and then to contribute his own music for it.

So we will need some platform to exchange music and parts of music, a place where we also can structure our ideas. Unfortunately i have no idea to do this, so this may be a very-long-run project.

Hopeful looking forward to your ideas!

Solatis

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-18, 13:24

Well just wanted to not that you at least can take a look at some "sources" of already included tracks at our arts svn

perhaps it would be an idea to create a directory "templates" (or similiar) there that holds some theme or so...

Generally I like the idea of having the same theme in different songs, but I think we should be careful to not make it sound monotone

Top Quote
solatis

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-18, 13:38

Yes, i allready have had a look at them (and also added new "sources" there), but i think this may a place to start, but i think this is not enough. Because creating recurring themes with many musicians is hard thing, especially if you can't meet them personaly and not regulary.

And we yes, we have to look to prevent the music to get not to monotone.

But as a sayed, this may be hard.

Solatus

Top Quote
saturn

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-21, 02:49

Maybe we should post a nice theme that one of us comes up with, and we can take turns making variations of it? Peaceful, dark, fighting, mellow, cheery.

I am working on a more "fighting"-like song right now. I will have a draft hopefully by the weekend. I have finals coming up though, so I'll be busy for another week before I can really start dedicating some time.

Top Quote