Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Re-modelling Barbarian Buildings

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-22, 23:26

Here it is shown in the game with playercolor.

HQ4_game

I see little people.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-22, 23:44

I like the last one very much, however two ideas for improvement:

• Are the flags moving in the wind, like the ones at streets? and if yes, in what direction? it looks, as if the are blown in different directions.
  • the left part of the palisade looks to straight in comparison to the others - i would like to see it a bit more bowed.

Else... just great face-smile.png

Edited: 2010-11-22, 23:44

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 00:18

Nasenbaer wrote: I like the last one very much, however two ideas for improvement:

Are the flags moving in the wind, like the ones at streets?

yes

and if yes, in what direction? it looks, as if the are blown in different directions.

The flags will all be fluttering in the same direction as the flags on the roads.

the left part of the palisade looks to straight in comparison to the others - i would like to see it a bit more bowed.

I'll make a few adjustments.

Thanks for your comments!

I see little people.

Top Quote
Gannaf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 00:23

I had an idea for the roof: Maybe you cold try to make it round and beared by the extended mainposts of the wooden buildingpart, to make it look a little bigger. Just compare it with the roof of the well. Of course it looks nice anyway face-smile.png

Edited: 2010-11-23, 00:24

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 00:57

Gannaf wrote: I had an idea for the roof: Maybe you cold try to make it round and beared by the extended mainposts of the wooden buildingpart, to make it look a little bigger. Just compare it with the roof of the well.

Interesting idea. Thanks. I'll play with it and see what I come up with. face-wink.png

Of course it looks nice anyway

Thanks face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 01:49

Here are a couple variations on the "big roof" idea:

The wood-covered part of the building isn't actually round. It's more like a square with rounded corners so the round roof of the well just wouldn't work.

(Note: As you might notice, I'm toying with the idea of banners hung beneath the high windows to add even more player color. They are gray in these pictures though.)

Thatch thatchbigroof Wood woodbigroof Small Thatch thatch

What do you think?

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 02:05

And here is a shot with the extra banners:

Again, in the final rendering the flags will all be flapping in the same direction as those on the roads.

colors

@Nasenbaer: Note I un-straightened the section of wall on the left of the image. face-smile.png

Enough playercolor? (Remember they will all be fluttering. It should catch your eye.) face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Fopper

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 09:27

This is more what I meant with a banner, excuse for the poor quality of mockup.
Though I absolutely also like your banners.
Edited: 2010-11-23, 09:28

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 10:04

I like the thatch and the small thatch. I do not like the banners, I feel like the barbarians wouldn't care for too much ornaments, more of an atlantean thing.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 16:00

Personally, I think the banners are too showy (more medieval) and I will remove them. (Thanks for the idea anyway, Gannaf. Keep them coming!) The pennants are almost too much, but we want some way to reflect player color. Perhaps I can also incorporate a cloth structure like a yurt or awning. I'll play with it some more.

If anyone can point me to (or better yet, show me) images of European or Scandinavian tribal totems/markers, I can use the inspiration. face-smile.png

I, too, am torn between the two thatch roofs. The more I look at the larger one, the more I like it, but I would be happy with either one.

Now for me it's back to the drawing board... literally. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote