Latest Posts

Topic: The new tree-spreading feature

ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-05-03, 09:41

I'm sorry, but I don't think that makes sense. Grass land is grass land, why would terrain that looks the same have different characteristics? That would just be confusing, because it violates a very fundamental design principle: things that look the same should behave the same (and a slightly weaker principle says that it's a good idea for the reverse to be true as well, though that's not quite as important).

Besides, I'm suspecting you're doing something really weird, like running the game at 10x speed or something. I've played very long games, and this has never been an issue. Once you kill all the trees in an area, it takes a long time for the trees to reach that area again. In practice, once you've eliminated trees everywhere outside dedicated wood production centers, they really don't grow back effectively at all.

If you want to have any chance of convincing me otherwise, you'll have to provide a replay of a game (using either build15 or current trunk) where this is indeed a problem.

Top Quote
MegaMatze

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-05-03, 11:23

Yeah, the principle makes sense. That I will simply use more steppe or so in my maps.

I played the elven forrest map that comes with b15. It is a very huge map, where you have to walk a far way through the wild to reach your enemy. If you want to make your way throug the wild you have to fight back the wood frontier all the time.

I will try to get you a replay if that happens again. At the moment I have non.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-03, 12:14

MegaMatze wrote: I played the elven forrest map that comes with b15. It is a very huge map, where you have to walk a far way through the wild to reach your enemy. If you want to make your way throug the wild you have to fight back the wood frontier all the time. I will try to get you a replay if that happens again. At the moment I have non.

This is a wished behaviour of that map. Just think a bit longer about the name "elven forests" face-wink.png ...

The growing forests are part of the design work of the map creatores - the "elven forests" map is build up that way, that trees can expand very well (only few mountains and water areas and mostely meadow terrain ...)

The complete difference can be found in "the oasis triangle" - there you have to care to have enough woods.

Top Quote
MegaMatze

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-05-06, 16:20

Ahhh, that makes sense.

Top Quote
raistware

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-06, 18:45

To keep a clean path on elven forest you need lots and lots of wood cutters! At least wood will never be a short in your economy face-tongue.png

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-10-03, 15:15

I bump this thread, because I opened a bug report to get this feature removed again. Please read and comment here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/654078

Top Quote