Latest Posts

Topic: widelands tournament 2019: subscriptions started

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-10, 16:10

the-x wrote:

When do we start the Tournamanet? How does it work with Time since I'm first time participating? - btw. were doing some training games online for those who want to join

it starts on 17th june. On sunday evening I will post the pairings. I will then post results as I receive them. once everyone is finished, I'll post the pairings for the second round, and so on. Starting with the later rounds I'll also start posting a ranking.

when I post the pairings, you have to contact your opponent and agree on a time to play. If possible, communicate it on the forum: I post those too, so that spectators can join.

Once I post the rounds, you are supposed to play within the week. You are allowed to take an additional week as long as you are making efforts - not answering messages or being too inflexible with setting up a schedule may incur penalties, though that happened rarely. If you can't play for the next two weeks, notify it in advance; you'll be considered to have lost the game, but will incur no penalties. You can also ask your opponent if he would accept a draw by agreement; if two players both can't play a turn, I'll try to pair them against each other if it's not too disruptive.

the rules, posted on the first page, explain this in more detail. Don't worry about penalties; they are there in case someone is uncooperative, not to bother people with limited real life time.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-10, 16:32

By the way, a place for uploading the replays would be nice. This one is fine, but I don't know if anyone except SirVer can upload there (?), and he is not willing to do it.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
watchcat
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-06-10, 16:42

Hummm... is there a workaround if both players are not able to host a multiplayer game on their side?

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-06-10, 16:44

watchcat wrote:

Hummm... is there a workaround if both players are not able to host a multiplayer game on their side?

Yes it's called Metaserver face-smile.png

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-10, 16:45

watchcat wrote:

As we'll play build20, everybody will be able to host. Port forwarding isn't necessary anymore.

Top Quote
watchcat
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-06-10, 16:47

WorldSavior wrote:

watchcat wrote:

As we'll play build20, everybody will be able to host. Port forwarding isn't necessary anymore.

Ah, good to know as my fritzbox/telekom combination already took a big toll on my sanity with port forwarding failures. face-tongue.png

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-10, 19:06

assuming there are still problems, a spectator can host. one of the reasons to encourage them.

the replay thing is true. I have no idea where they can be posted this year if sirver isn't willing as she was in the past

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-10, 21:10

king_of_nowhere wrote:

the replay thing is true. I have no idea where they can be posted this year if sirver isn't willing as she was in the past

The replays could be uploaded at a bug report at launchpad, maybe. There might be a better place somewhere, though.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-11, 07:32

I am planning to create a possibility to upload such things. Unfortunately it will not be ready for this tournament. So either attach them to a bug report or send them to me or GunChleoc.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-06-11, 21:24

king_of_nowhere wrote:

assuming there are still problems, a spectator can host. one of the reasons to encourage them.

The person hosting has always a responsive UI*. If people are far from each other (network-wise, via the Widelands server), then others have worse experience: Things appear on map only after some time they are placed. The host has thus a small advantage. If spectator hosts, then the difference diminishes.

The difference is usually pretty small, becomes significant from more distant continents. If players are close to each other but far from the Widelands server, then playing in "LAN mode" in the old way (port forwarding and all) might make sense. Are there people outside Europe participating?

(edit: * I have never seen a counter example, did not check by reading code)

Edited: 2019-06-12, 19:45

Top Quote