Topic: Destroying roads

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-04, 03:38

Couple of questions:

1) Is it worthwhile to remove a paved road to replace it with a shorter, straighter road? Eventually it would be paved too but is the half traffic for quite a time worthwhile? Only if the shorter road is half as long?

2) If a road has items on it or being carried along it when you remove it, are the carried or lieing items lost?

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-04, 04:54

mxb2001 wrote:

Couple of questions:

1) Is it worthwhile to remove a paved road to replace it with a shorter, straighter road? Eventually it would be paved too but is the half traffic for quite a time worthwhile? Only if the shorter road is half as long?

yes, absolutely. Especially when the road is in an important part of the network. A 3-step road may become a huge bottleneck in the whole transportation system in a large game. As for the disruption, it only lasts a few minutes, and all the goods are going to be delivered anyway

2) If a road has items on it or being carried along it when you remove it, are the carried or lieing items lost?

the carrier, still carrying the item, goes back to a near flag, then to a warehouse. It brings the ware. So, none of them are lost.

If you remove a flag, on the other hand, then the wares on the flag are lost.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-04, 19:06

king_of_nowhere wrote: yes, absolutely. Especially when the road is in an important part of the network. A 3-step road may become a huge bottleneck in the whole transportation system in a large game. As for the disruption, it only lasts a few minutes, and all the goods are going to be delivered anyway

Wow, I expected the reverse. Suits me though, as I like to straighten roads, just was afraid to do it with those. I've figured out a good way to do it too, make a 2nd straighter road first then remove the crooked road.

the carrier, still carrying the item, goes back to a near flag, then to a warehouse. It brings the ware. So, none of them are lost.

If you remove a flag, on the other hand, then the wares on the flag are lost.

Thanks, that is what I suspected (pretty sure I saw guys off road carrying stuff but the graphics are pretty small on my laptop and my eyes are old now...)

--

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-05, 18:12

mxb2001 wrote: the graphics are pretty small on my laptop and my eyes are old now...

You know you can zoom in using the mouse wheel ? :p

That is, if you use build 20 or higher

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-05, 18:14

trimard wrote:

mxb2001 wrote: the graphics are pretty small on my laptop and my eyes are old now...

You know you can zoom in using the mouse wheel ? :p

That is, if you use build 20 or higher

Stuck with b19 alas...

--

Top Quote