Latest Posts

Topic: Build 20 missions feedback

niektory
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-03, 20:59

Heya! Exiting lurking mode in 3... 2... 1...

I enjoyed the new campaign missions from Build 20. They're quite creative and play very differently from standard maps, which is nice. I also like that they give you some choice how to proceed. Already looking forward to the next ones!

In Neptune's Revenge, when I defeated the barbarians I got confused. There were no more objectives so I thought the mission was over, but it was not so. It turned out I had built too few ships and only when I built more the next objectives showed up. There should be an additional "Build at least 3 ships" objective so stingy players who save on wood like me don't get stuck.

I've beat most missions on the first try, though some of them were close calls. But in The Great Stormflood, I was unable to complete the last objective in time, and had to reload a save from before defeating the enemy to prepare. It uses similar gimmick as in From Nemesis to Genesis, but I felt the timing was more harsh here. This is not really a problem, just relaying my experience.

In Colder than Ice, when I paid the tribute to the empire and defeated the barbarians, the game froze after I clicked OK on the window introducing the new objective. Then it just kept devouring RAM and swap until I killed it. Reloading the game (after restarting the system) resulted in the same thing. Here's a save from just before the freeze so you can check if it's just my system or not (I'm using Manjaro): https://0x0.st/zMlE.wgf

Another problem in Colder than Ice is that the empire considers you an ally and doesn't bother protecting its border with you, even dismantling its military buildings. So you can completely cripple them by just building military buildings on the border and taking their territory. I even managed to kill off half of their military by destroying a warehouse housing their soldiers this way, without attacking a single time.

I was also confused by the instructions the mission gave about the blacksmithy production cycles, to stop it until at least two iron are stored there. I followed the instructions, but could somebody explain how this works in detail?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-03, 21:54

niektory wrote:

first of all welcome to our forums.

I enjoyed the new campaign missions from Build 20. They're quite creative and play very differently from standard maps, which is nice. I also like that they give you some choice how to proceed. Already looking forward to the next ones!

glad you enjoyed them

In Neptune's Revenge, when I defeated the barbarians I got confused. There were no more objectives so I thought the mission was over, but it was not so. It turned out I had built too few ships and only when I built more the next objectives showed up. There should be an additional "Build at least 3 ships" objective so stingy players who save on wood like me don't get stuck.

We will do so I'll take care of that for the next build.

In Colder than Ice, when I paid the tribute to the empire and defeated the barbarians, the game froze after I clicked OK on the window introducing the new objective. Then it just kept devouring RAM and swap until I killed it. Reloading the game (after restarting the system) resulted in the same thing. Here's a save from just before the freeze so you can check if it's just my system or not (I'm using Manjaro): https://0x0.st/zMlE.wgf

thanks for reporting we will analyze this.

Another problem in Colder than Ice is that the empire considers you an ally and doesn't bother protecting its border with you, even dismantling its military buildings. So you can completely cripple them by just building military buildings on the border and taking their territory. I even managed to kill off half of their military by destroying a warehouse housing their soldiers this way, without attacking a single time.

this is known, but was inevitable in b20 we have a new feature in b21 to just forbid attacking while basically not an ally so this should be more difficult in the future.

I was also confused by the instructions the mission gave about the blacksmithy production cycles, to stop it until at least two iron are stored there. I followed the instructions, but could somebody explain how this works in detail?

the blacksmithy has afixed cycle of working to get the tool produced we need to ensure that the right cycle is chosen, so this is a measure to ensure that. But maybe we can find something more sensible to achieve the same effect.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-04, 00:05

niektory wrote:

I've beat most missions on the first try, though some of them were close calls. But in The Great Stormflood, I was unable to complete the last objective in time, and had to reload a save from before defeating the enemy to prepare. It uses similar gimmick as in From Nemesis to Genesis, but I felt the timing was more harsh here. This is not really a problem, just relaying my experience.

same for me. I actually consider the need to reload as natural in challenging missions, so not a problem.

Well, the moment you expand the border, they should declare war on you, so you can't do it often. Still, I was able to take quite a big chunk of land from them before they organized and fought back, which is the sole factor that made the map manageable; they have so much power in fully promoted soldiers, and they are close enough to your border, there isn't really another way to defeat them. Especially since you start with a crippled economy.

the blacksmith working cycle goes something like this: - does the economy needs tool 1? If so, produce tool 1. Does the economy needs tool 2? If so, produce tool 2, and so on, for all the different tools. If the blacksmith does not have resoources, it interrupts the working cycle. next time it has resources, it will start back from the beginning. picks are tool number 2. toool 1 are axes, I think. so if you have all the wares in the blacksmith, it makes an axe and then a pick (assuming an axe is needed). If you don't, and you need axes, it will make an axe, then it will stop, then it will make another axe. A similar mechanism goes for pretty much all buildings.

Top Quote
niektory
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-06-04, 00:53

king_of_nowhere wrote:

niektory wrote:

Well, the moment you expand the border, they should declare war on you, so you can't do it often. Still, I was able to take quite a big chunk of land from them before they organized and fought back, which is the sole factor that made the map manageable; they have so much power in fully promoted soldiers, and they are close enough to your border, there isn't really another way to defeat them. Especially since you start with a crippled economy.

Oh, I did it after paying the tribute (the gathering of which did take quite a while), so they didn't react at all.

the blacksmith working cycle goes something like this: - does the economy needs tool 1? If so, produce tool 1. Does the economy needs tool 2? If so, produce tool 2, and so on, for all the different tools. If the blacksmith does not have resoources, it interrupts the working cycle. next time it has resources, it will start back from the beginning. picks are tool number 2. toool 1 are axes, I think. so if you have all the wares in the blacksmith, it makes an axe and then a pick (assuming an axe is needed). If you don't, and you need axes, it will make an axe, then it will stop, then it will make another axe. A similar mechanism goes for pretty much all buildings.

Hmm, so if no other tool was needed besides the pick (by setting them to zero in the economy settings, and not having unoccupied buildings), one iron ingot would be enough to make it?

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-04, 02:21

niektory wrote:

Hmm, so if no other tool was needed besides the pick (by setting them to zero in the economy settings, and not having unoccupied buildings), one iron ingot would be enough to make it?

yes, exactly.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-06-04, 10:39

Bug reports:

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-07-23, 13:16

niektory wrote:

I have put a branch on review dealing with that and some other minor issues now. Thanks again for reporting. Solution is to run the artifact thread from an earlier point so the discover all port spaces objectives might or might not be triggered.

Edited: 2019-07-23, 13:16

Top Quote