Latest Posts

Topic: Bug in Twinkling Waves?

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-05-27, 20:36

I'm playing that map as red (build 19 no upgrade possible yet) and built a port on the northern peninsula. I tried several times to do an expedition but even with all the wares in the exp screen loaded it just won't start! For an hour at least it's been like that. There are half a dozen ships built and waiting. I even forced some builders to move to the port. Then I found a 2nd port site and built one there. After disconnecting it from the road it refused to ship any wares from the first port. The only thing I can imagine I did different to the seafaring tutorial and another map where it worked fine also was to start the exp. before the shipyard or ships were built.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-27, 21:20

mxb2001 wrote:

I'm playing that map as red (build 19 no upgrade possible yet) and built a port on the northern peninsula. I tried several times to do an expedition but even with all the wares in the exp screen loaded it just won't start! For an hour at least it's been like that. There are half a dozen ships built and waiting. I even forced some builders to move to the port. Then I found a 2nd port site and built one there. After disconnecting it from the road it refused to ship any wares from the first port. The only thing I can imagine I did different to the seafaring tutorial and another map where it worked fine also was to start the exp. before the shipyard or ships were built.

Didn't look at the map, but are you sure that the ships and the port are at the same ocean? Ships cannot go through very narrow passages (they need at least a passage of two units width).

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-05-28, 01:26

WorldSavior wrote: Ships cannot go through very narrow passages (they need at least a passage of two units width).

Thanks, I think that was it. The TW map is badly setup for building ships as almost 100% of the coast has small beach (worthless) islands 2-3 hexes long 1 hex away from the main island. This will form ship traps if the builder chooses to build between them which is what happened to me and most lilkely all the AI's too. I have 4 ships that fidget about trapped between the mini island and the main. : ( I managed to build one at a second shipyard and it started the expedition as soon as it managed to sail close to the port. An unpleasant feature of the map + the fact the builder doesn't choose a random spot on the coast for every ship since there are a few gaps where ships can escape.

--

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-28, 02:56

mxb2001 wrote:

WorldSavior wrote: Ships cannot go through very narrow passages (they need at least a passage of two units width).

Thanks, I think that was it.

You're welcome

The TW map is badly setup for building ships as almost 100% of the coast has small beach (worthless) islands 2-3 hexes long 1 hex away from the main island. This will form ship traps if the builder chooses to build between them which is what happened to me and most lilkely all the AI's too. I have 4 ships that fidget about trapped between the mini island and the main. : ( I managed to build one at a second shipyard and it started the expedition as soon as it managed to sail close to the port. An unpleasant feature of the map + the fact the builder doesn't choose a random spot on the coast for every ship since there are a few gaps where ships can escape.

Sounds unpleasant. I guess that the map is older than the expedition feature. Maybe even older than the ship feature.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Tribal-Chief
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-05-28, 13:48

I have never had this problem with this map, perhaps I chose a better build site fot the shipyard? I have had problems where a ship is built on a lake nearby instead of the sea where I needed it, but that was my fault for putting the shipyard where the lake was within his workarea.

You could also open the map in the editor and remove some of the sandy islands to allow better access to all ports, maybe get it added to the game as an updated map.

Top Quote
mxb2001
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-05-28, 19:11

Heh, I definitely learned a lot about placing shipyards here. BTW the trouble with this map is that the whole coast has these cosmetic little beach islands that will trap ships most places...

--

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-29, 11:06

I have created a bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1830871

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote