Topic: campaigns are needlessly restrictive

WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-13, 21:34

GunChleoc wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

By the way, perhaps the difficulty indicators should be changed? Red usually means hard and green easy, here it´s the other way around. And is the meaning of "flag" difficulty obvious to new players?

Yes, please! I'd love to have new graphics for that.

What about the graphics which are used in the lobby? Green = even road, easy to walk on - yellow = steep road, harder to walk on - red = very steep road, very hard to walk on

The lobby gets new graphics for this anyway, doesn't it? Maybe it should.

hessenfarmer wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

True. I meant that Emp as a whole campaign is harder than Atl.

Thats one thing I currently work on. Making the Atlantean campaign harder and longer. At least I will double its missions face-wink.png

Wow, many new missions face-tongue.png Have fun then

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-14, 01:02

hessenfarmer wrote:

There had been already a lot of discussions regarding the campaign visibility in the past: my personal favour would be to have them all 4 with their first mission ready from the beginning. in a campaign the order should be kept as the story evolves from mission to mission.
Reasons for doing it like in the current state could be that a player starting with the atlanteans or frisians might get frustrated and leave. So we try to guide him to better gameplay.

well, there are four tutorials, and the first two campaigns are marked as easier.

If a new player who knows nothing of the game skips all the tutorials, skip the easy missions and tries immediately on the hard part, he deserves to get burned face-smile.png

by the way, I just made empire missions 3 and 4 (didn't want to try the new missions before the official build), and I really like them. they are hard enough to be interesting, but easy enough that they should be doable by most people. they tell an interesting story. congrats to the designers

Edited: 2019-05-14, 01:02

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-14, 07:07

king_of_nowhere wrote:

well, there are four tutorials, and the first two campaigns are marked as easier.

If a new player who knows nothing of the game skips all the tutorials, skip the easy missions and tries immediately on the hard part, he deserves to get burned face-smile.png

that is a very darwinistic view I think face-wink.png

by the way, I just made empire missions 3 and 4 (didn't want to try the new missions before the official build), and I really like them. they are hard enough to be interesting, but easy enough that they should be doable by most people. they tell an interesting story. congrats to the designers

Thanks for the flowers. But we always like people to test things before a release. So next time please feel encouraged to test any new mission before hand. There had been several testers been involved in making the missions better and more stable against alternative gameplay.

Edited: 2019-05-14, 07:09

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-15, 02:45

since we're on topic, is there any specific reason to not let the player build a recicling center in the first frisian mission? it's the only building missing

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-15, 08:47

Yes there is a reason see https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/4327/?page=1#post-26116 and it is not the only building not buildable I believe the aqua farm is first introduced in frisians 2 as well

Top Quote