Latest Posts

Topic: nl: new Dutch translations

stdh
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-04-08, 14:15

Yesterday I've uploaded some translations, nothing seems to have exploded. face-wink.png I don't really need more translation synchronizations, I test my translations by manually putting new *.mo's in place. Over the next week, I may try to translate the fourth imperial campaign.

I must say I concur with Tribal-Chief about Transifex' Terms and Conditions. I don't feel very comfortable using their website, I try to avoid using their editor and I wonder why they make me connect to facebook - reasons why I use the Tor Browser for it. In general I'm weary of (would-be) giants that try to be the platform for any service they offer, like Google, Amazon, Microsoft (inc. GitHub), Canonical (inc. Launchpad), etc. , with the aim to accumulate more money and more power. They make me feel like a product whose every last bit of data is to be extracted for profit. There are alternatives, but they are likely to require more time, effort and/or money to use. I guess I'm willing to pay a bit of that to avoid those giants.

This website, on the other hand, I trust to be run by people without ulterior motives, and who I can talk to, at least electronically. face-smile.png

P.S.: @Tribal-Chief: what do you mean not being dutch but a nederlander instead? I don't understand that. Seeing as you don't play Widelands in Dutch yourself, I put the change to 'brievenbus' on a lower priority to-do list.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-08, 23:45

At the time we moved to Transifex, it was the only hosted service that did what we need. There was a huge resistance by some of our translators against using offline tools, and Launchpad doesn't support fuzzy matches. So, they kept losing their translations on source fixes.

We might eventually move the translations to hosted Weblate, but that will need to be discussed with all our translators in a separate thread.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
stdh
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-04-09, 15:20

@GunChleoc: Thanks for the info and consideration. Hopefully we can cover all our needs with free software. Such a discussion is best held after b20's release, I presume? I guess a lot of translators went into action recently.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-09, 18:51

Yes, some time after Build 20.

My first order of business after Build 20 will be to move the code base to GitHub. We are using a pretty fragile hack to run our continuous integration checks at this point (Travis and AppVeyor builds), and GitHub is the only site that does what we need. I looked into GitLab too, but it is not feasible for what we're doing. We'd eat up our month's allotment of builds there with 2 merge requests.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-09, 20:55

Just out of curiosity which Paras of the transifex terms are not acceptable to you? Don't get me wrong I am suspicious about some companies mining my data as well (don't use fb or whatsapp for this reason), but I couldn't realize the thread in their t&c. So please help me to see such things better in the future.

Top Quote
stdh
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-04-16, 16:27

[This is going to be a bit of a rant and rather off-topic in this thread. Sorry for that.]

@GunChleoc: yes CI, part of the attractiveness of course. I understand this 'battle' is a bit big to combine with developing Widelands. face-smile.png

@hessenfarmer: I don't feel too confident (IANAL etc.), but I'll try to bring a few points of interest. For starters I'll admit that I don't have any specific paragraphs in mind, but that points to the first problem with a lot of 'terms and conditions':

1. Nearly nobody reads these things as they are long and complex, written by lawyers for lawyers. I've read transifex' T&C's when I made my account there, and I don't remember anything specific about them (and not just because of forgetting them - I think). If an organization is serious about clearly stating their rules, they should do better than having the legally binding document being incomprehensible for their users. Maybe standardization could help here?
  2. Relatedly, T&C's may change at whim, without notice.
  3. In enumerating ways that a service provider processes your data, often a catch-all term is added after a list of more specific stuff, something like 'improving the service or providing a more personal experience'. Strictly speaking, this makes the list of uses meaningless as the company can do just about anything with the data it collects on you.
  4. Similar for the data being collected.
  5. What happens with the data collected on you when the company changes hands? Interesting things may happen, like a genealogy company working with DNA being bought by an insurer.
  6. Use of subcontractors for data processing. Through the T&C's you give your permission for this, but it's not clear that you have any standing with a subcontractor yourself. Where I'm from, news website hand over data to numerous (semi-)shady companies that build profiles (hopefully only for advertising) on a large part of the population.
  7. Also, a meta-issue: do you have any recourse if the service provider violates its own T&C's? Maybe in a courtroom at the other side of the world. Will we even find out about such violations?

I do understand it's not easy to provide good T&C's, a number of my points are hard to avoid entirely. But it seems that for-profit companies can hardly resist tilting the balance of power away from their users. Now I'll have a look at transifex' actual T&C's and see if my analysis makes any sense in this case!

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-04-16, 20:53

sorry for hijacking the topic.
But thanks a lot for having a look into the T&C of transifex.

Top Quote
CrisiusXIII
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-06-22, 01:55

quote "Houtskoolmeiler" for "Charcoal Kiln". I didn't know that word either, but it seems to be the accurate term for the covered heap of wood. "

OK, then i leave it like that. i did a search and probably its German or Frisian

https://nl.glosbe.com/de/nl/Meiler

but used several times in dutch

https://www.aerophotostock.com/-/galleries/all/-/medias/79e04986-c004-4d42-b867-2d647e63828e-10381-houtskoolmeilers-of-kolenbranders-op-de-veluwe-bij-udd

https://gea-geologie.nl/college-van-de-maand/college-van-de-maand-houtskoolmeilers

https://www.boswachtersblog.nl/veluwe/2012/04/13/altijd-al-willen-weten-wat-een-houtskoolmeiler-is/

apperently is a very old word

Edited: 2021-06-22, 01:57

Top Quote