Topic: Lore

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-04, 08:16

I'd like to suggest a lore for the Atlantean fish breeders:

"Only after the last deer has been shot down / Only after the last wisent has been pursued / Only after the last fish has been caught / Then will you find that spiders cannot be eaten."

-- Fish breeder prophecy

What do you think?

German version:

„Erst wenn der letzte Hirsch geschossen, der letzte Elch erlegt, der letzte Fisch gefangen ist, werdet Ihr merken, dass man Spinnen nicht essen kann.“

-- Weissagung der Fischzüchter

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-04, 08:50

That sounds like an old Greenpeace slogan. face-wink.png But I'd love to have more Lore in the game. So one of my first tasks for b21 is to incorporate the barbarian Lore already available into the game, I could esily add an Atlantean Lore as well.

Regarding your proposal I would leave out the deer and wisent as they have nothing to do with fish. And I would replace spiders with Diamonds as the Atlanteans love precious stones.

This would result in
"Only after the last fish has been caught / Then will you find that diamonds cannot be eaten."

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-04, 09:00

hessenfarmer wrote:

That sounds like an old Greenpeace slogan. face-wink.png

That's exactly the point face-wink.png

But I'd love to have more Lore in the game. So one of my first tasks for b21 is to incorporate the barbarian Lore already available into the game, I could esily add an Atlantean Lore as well.

Regarding your proposal I would leave out the deer and wisent as they have nothing to do with fish. And I would replace spiders with Diamonds as the Atlanteans love precious stones.

This would result in
"Only after the last fish has been caught / Then will you find that diamonds cannot be eaten."

But diamonds cannot be produced when no more animals (including fish) are available. So my version wants to show that fish breeders are necessary, as the Atlanteans don't have something like a piggery... And isn't it more funny with "spiders" instead of "diamonds"? My version is meant to be funny face-wink.png

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-04, 16:27

i llike it. yes, it adapts one old slogan (which, iirc, was first uttered by a native american chief) to widelands.

although technically you can eat spiders, and they should be quite nutritious

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-03-04, 17:57

I found some nice ones on this site.

These two I liked the most:

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."

"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it…"

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-04, 20:34

After a second thought it fits better with the beginning of WorldSavior, but I am still somewhat unhappy with the spiders due to they are eatable. How would it fit with spidercloth instead?
And for the source I would suggest "prophecy of an old fish breeder", because prophecies are generally made by an individual.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-05, 01:23

hessenfarmer wrote:

After a second thought it fits better with the beginning of WorldSavior, but I am still somewhat unhappy with the spiders due to they are eatable. How would it fit with spidercloth instead?

maybe golden tabards.

should be some specific high-value atlantean ware to keep the theme

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-05, 11:39

I'd be OK with either spidercloth or golden tabards.

I also think that pursued -> hunted would sound more natural in English.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-05, 14:53

king_of_nowhere wrote:

i llike it.

face-smile.png

although technically you can eat spiders, and they should be quite nutritious

I think that this depends on the species. And it's also a question of cultural perspective, as Atlanteans also don't eat horses or unsmoked fish.

hessenfarmer wrote:

After a second thought it fits better with the beginning of WorldSavior, but I am still somewhat unhappy with the spiders due to they are eatable.

See above...

How would it fit with spidercloth instead?

I prefer "spiders" because i think that its funnier.

And for the source I would suggest "prophecy of an old fish breeder", because prophecies are generally made by an individual.

This would be also okay. I searched a translation of the "Weissagung der Cree" and found only "Cree Indian prophecy", so I changed it to "Fish Breeder prohecy", to be as close as possible to the original.

king_of_nowhere wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

maybe golden tabards.

But golden tabards cannot be produced if meat and fish are gone...

GunChleoc wrote:

the original is "poisoned", so I've chosen "pursued" because it looks similar.

Edited: 2019-03-05, 14:56

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-05, 17:38

WorldSavior wrote:

I think that this depends on the species. And it's also a question of cultural perspective, as Atlanteans also don't eat horses or unsmoked fish.

The point from my perspective is Atlanteans don't eat horses due to their culture or taste but horses can be eaten. So a lore stating something technically wrong in an explizit way (i.e. Spiders cannot be eaten) somehow doesn't feel right to me.

How would it fit with spidercloth instead?

I prefer "spiders" because i think that its funnier.

From my perspective the fun comes from the clear reference to the Slogan of the 80's. I already imagined a fish breeder with a sticker of this Slogan attached to his back. For me thinking of eating Spiders isn't funny due to being not obscene.

This would be also okay. I searched a translation of the "Weissagung der Cree" and found only "Cree Indian prophecy", so I changed it to "Fish Breeder prohecy", to be as close as possible to the original.

According to Wikipedia this is a false cite anyhow. face-wink.png

king_of_nowhere wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

maybe golden tabards.

But golden tabards cannot be produced if meat and fish are gone...

That why I choose spidercloth in my second attempt. As the atlanteans clearly love nice / valuable things and we should choose a ware that can be produced without fish or meat, what about the term " shiny tabards". This would be closer to the original anyhow.

GunChleoc wrote:

the original is "poisoned", so I've chosen "pursued" because it looks similar.

What about "preyed"? And I might suggest to exchange Wisent with game as being a more general term for no meat.

So my latest Version would read:
"Only after the last deer has been shot down / Only after the last game has been preyed / Only after the last fish has been caught / Then will you find that shiny tabards cannot be eaten."

Top Quote