Latest Posts

Topic: build path during pause

teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-02-23, 09:27

WorldSavior wrote:

Exercising all the control makes the gaming experience worse. We should prevent spectators: you could not know if my best friend was in the same room, with laptop as spectator, telling me your weak points.

It could be possible to limit spectators to one player. In that case the spectator would only see what that player sees face-smile.png

This would make specators' life less fun. Besides, the friend of your enemy would, of course, be viewing your actions and reporting them to your enemy. Problem not solved but game worsened while trying.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-23, 11:29

WorldSavior wrote:

Exercising all the control makes the gaming experience worse. We should prevent spectators: you could not know if my best friend was in the same room, with laptop as spectator, telling me your weak points.

It could be possible to limit spectators to one player. In that case the spectator would only see what that player sees face-smile.png

I can then run multiple instances of Widelands where I join as a spectator and choose to spectate as enemy player. Easy cheat face-wink.png

ETA: OK, that's what teppo said... not ganging up on you, I just overlooked the new forum page.

Edited: 2019-02-23, 11:30

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-23, 13:57

teppo wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

What do you mean with "patching"? Sorry, I cannot translate...

Someone could modify (="patch") the source code to gain some advantage, and compile the modified sources for private use. Since the source code is freely available, this could even be rather easy.

Example: Let's assume that we now modify the game so that savegame while multiplayer no longer happens. Somebody could find those modifications by browsing the commit messages, undo that modification and gain advantage. You do not even need programming skills for that. A person who knows the source code and can write some could gain more boost for himself, by adding more powerful cheats that leave no traces into the syncstream.

In short, just don't play widelands for large amounts of money. T-shirts are probably okay..

Okay

teppo wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

This would make specators' life less fun.

Yes, but the question is which right is more important. The right of the spectator to spectate a match which will produce a replay anyway or the right of the player to not be watched to avoid cheating. But whatever....

Besides, the friend of your enemy would, of course, be viewing your actions and reporting them to your enemy. Problem not solved but game worsened while trying.

The idea is simply that players can forbid to be watched.

GunChleoc wrote:

ETA: OK, that's what teppo said... not ganging up on you, I just overlooked the new forum page.

It's alright

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-23, 17:25

When you don't want spectators, you can say so before starting the game. We don't have late joins, so nobody can sneak in later.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-24, 14:04

GunChleoc wrote:

When you don't want spectators, you can say so before starting the game. We don't have late joins, so nobody can sneak in later.

I know. But it's not possible that specators can be restricted to view what players view, which would be also an insteresting perspective.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote