Goofy
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1 release
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-02-19, 09:03

Hello dear Settlers,

Yesterday I played the Empire on the map "Lake of Tranquility". face-angel.png

After realising there were also an unfriendly Nation on the map, I thought I should better train my soldiers. So I gave the order for build a Trainings Camp and an Arena.

At the "help button" inside the Arena window I found, that Empire soldiers cannot be trained at evading...? face-surprise.png Maybe the building upgrade to a Colosseum would be helpful, I guessed... but nothing has changed. So I lost my last marbel and I had to continue the game as a poor Emperor... face-upset.png

face-grin.png

Now I need to know is that intentionally or just a missing thing?

At the encyclopedia I found, that an Arena can also produce soldiers? So it does the same like the Trainings Camp? ... -And I can build two soldiers, if I have an Arena plus a Trainings Camp?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-19, 09:49

Goofy wrote:

At the "help button" inside the Arena window I found, that Empire soldiers cannot be trained at evading...? face-surprise.png

Empire soldiers can't be trained on 'Defense', and thats intended.

At the encyclopedia I found, that an Arena can also produce soldiers? So it does the same like the Trainings Camp? ... -And I can build two soldiers, if I have an Arena plus a Trainings Camp?

Which version do you play? Maybe this is a wrong helptext in the encyclopedia of the used version. In current development builds it is not mentioned that an Arena can produce soldiers: Encyclopedia - Empire Buildings

Thanks for your feedback face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-19, 10:14

Don't forget that in a build later than build19 you need to have a third training building - the barracks to build recruits as they are not created by warehouses anymore.
Just to prevent any misunderstanding:
the Arena, the Colosseum and the Training Camp do not build soldiers. They just train existing soldiers (or recruits from the barracks) in the relevant abilities (evade for arena/colosseum ,attack and health in the training camp)

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-19, 16:56

arena trains soldiers in evade 1, colosseum trains them in evade 1 and 2 (maximum for empire), training camp trains soldiers in everything else.

So no, you did not waste your marble. an arena is necessary. In fact, pro players start building one from the very first minute (however, pro players can also get fast the resources needed for it; I suggest against trying it until you are more confident in your skill at building an economy fast)

Top Quote
Goofy
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-02-20, 07:58

Hello dears,

yes, I think you have found the problems:

At first I should better learn to read at first face-grin.png because the encyclopedia tells at the description column, that Arena/Kolosseum and Trainings Camp will train your soldiers... ...Appearently I was focussed at the produces column, where I had found a picture of a soldier.

And the second: Oh my, YES; I'm playing with the version 19, what means there is definitely no Barracks Building! face-surprise.png

So I could not recruit new soldiers...? ...and I was wondering about my small Army in spite of the fact I have done ALL for my legions... face-grin.png

...hm... but now I see at the statisticle report for military, that the line was increasing... what means the number at the peak? The number of soldiers, I guess?

But another point is: What is the official Build of Widelands? Higher then 19?

I got my version from the "Programmverwaltung" (Program-Manager) called "Discover" from Kubuntu. Usually I get always current versions of software there: If something should change, I will get an upgrade automatically, I thought...

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-20, 08:24

HI, you are very welcome.
To answer your questions: Build 19 is the latest "official" release, although b20 is just around the corner to be released. So you don't need to worry about that. Current development builds are available from a special PPA for linux (see "the Game - Download" section of this homepage).

In B19 you don't have to worry about creating soldiers. They are just build in your warehouses as long as the weapons for them are available there. (all needed weapons need to be in the same warehouse to create one).

The militiary stats is the sum of all military points of your soldiers, where trained soldiers have more points.

Top Quote
Goofy
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-02-20, 09:13

Thank you, dear hessenfarmer... face-smile.png

Yes, yes... I do remember: Two years ago I had an intensive talk about to get the daily versions of Widelands for my Linux. ...hm... yes, no... for the moment I'm satisfied with the official release, I believe. How is the approximately time interval for official releases? ...So I will just wait for the news... face-smile.png

Aahh oki, a warehouse one will need for recruiting soldiers... hm... And if I have no warehouse, my Headquarter will do it, too? ...oki, soon I will get my Barracks Building... YaY! face-grin.png

Hm yes, so I will get always military points at the military statistical report. ...But the real number of my soldiers is hidden? Or is it possible to get it at another place?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-20, 09:49

yes HQ is just a special kind of warehouse and will do the job.
no at least I do not know any way to see the number of soldiers. Anyhow the number does not matter it's their fighting power that matters. to kill a fully trained soldier you would need masses of rookies, so in general it is highly recommendable to train your soldiers before going to battle. ( for Pro's the game is a race for the first superhero and the economy that could sustain a constant supply of these heroes.)

Sorry to repeat myself but there is a tutorial for the military as well where most things are explained and this tutorial is tailored for the release you have installed.

About release cycles the time interval is stretchable face-wink.png but I believe B20 will be out in a couple of weeks.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-20, 09:54

Goofy wrote: ...But the real number of my soldiers is hidden?

Only hidden a little bit face-wink.png

Or is it possible to get it at another place?

Select "inventory" (for example by pressing "i"), this will show you first all your wares in your empire, but in that window you can also simply choose that it shows you all your workers, there you see your soldiers.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-20, 10:24

WorldSavior wrote:

Select "inventory" (for example by pressing "i"), this will show you first all your wares in your empire, but in that window you can also simply choose that it shows you all your workers, there you see your soldiers.

Damn. I really forgot this. Sorry. WorldSavior is absolutely right.

Top Quote