Latest Posts

Topic: Where are my maps and savegames stored?

Goofy
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1 release
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-02-17, 17:00

Hello dear Settlers,

I know it is exactly a questions of the Technical-FAQ-section... face-smile.png

So I found the directory

/home/'username'/.widelands

in my Ubuntu directory tree. face-wink.png

BUT some questions remained for me: I got the idea for playing another map from the maps-section of the Widelands web page, but at that directory there is no subdirectory for maps, where I could copy maybe a map file or files. After the installation and playing one test game I got only the directories replays and save.

I guess it is just needed to create a subdirectory manually for new maps there?

At that point I was wondering, where are the default maps of the Widelands installation? So I concluded there must be another directory for those default maps, and of course also the files of the Widelands program...

Where it is hidden?

I guess it is not recommended to change something there?

Sorry for the case, that questions like that are already known here, but I couldn't find something about this...

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-17, 17:52

Downloaded maps go into ~/.widelands/maps/my_great_map.wmf. The maps/ subdirectory is created automatically the first time you save a custom map with the editor. If you never did that yet, just add it manually. (Lowercase and exact spelling are important)

At that point I was wondering, where are the default maps of the Widelands installation? So I concluded there must be another directory for those default maps, and of course also the files of the Widelands program...

Depending on the way you installed widelands – on Linux, the data files are typically in /usr/share/games/widelands/data or something like that (that´s platform-dependent); data/ has a maps/ subdirectory that contains the official maps.

I guess it is not recommended to change something there?

All your changes normally go into your ~/.widelands, but you can also change the official files (at your own risk of breaking something face-wink.png ).

Sorry for the case, that questions like that are already known here, but I couldn't find something about this...

No problem face-smile.png

Top Quote
Goofy
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-02-17, 18:15

Thank You, dear Nordfriese,

the files of the Widelands installation are exactly there, where you have told.

face-smile.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-18, 11:09

We should always make sure that that directory is there to make it easier for players. Thanks for bringing it up! I have created a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1816377

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Goofy
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-02-18, 13:24

Hello GunChleoc,

oh my, a bug? Sounds much for a small thing... face-surprise.png

But yes, maybe it would be easier, if one could find that directory without using the map editor before, because a new player would maybe rather try another map at first, then to deal with the map editor...

So I'm happy that I could do a small thing for improving the game in later versions...

face-angel.png

Ohh, and I found another source for getting the installation path: After starting the game and a mouse-click on the intro screen, one can click on the button "about Widelands" and then the point "Licence": Between these less lines one can find it.

face-smile.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-18, 16:39

Goofy wrote:

oh my, a bug? Sounds much for a small thing... face-surprise.png

Yes, a small thing, but it did cost you considerable time and you had to ask for help. So, an easy fix well worth doing face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote