Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Improving default economy settings

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-17, 13:32

I think the economy settings is a thing a beginner doesn't has to worry about. I played widelands for years without knowing what exactly these settings are about and what consequences they may have on game play. Today i know a little bit about them, but i can't say i understand the consequences exactly face-grin.png

Anyway:

My guess is that the initial settings are quite old and not adapted to other adjustments in the meantime. So i am all for adjusting them.

I'd rather suggest that stock setting could be decided before the game, as a preference setting. that would let anyone pick his own.

I am against such a setting, just because this would mean a player has to know what consequences they have. Having them as a preference setting would mean an advantage for good players and saves some time for them (because they won't need to adjust them during game play), which is also an advantage. So good players have two advantages if preference settings are implemented.

Instead of preference settings i would like to have other places to access them (not at a flag): Warehouses (including headquarters) and ports. I think having the button at those buildings is semantically better than having it at a flag.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-17, 15:54

kaputtnik wrote:

Instead of preference settings i would like to have other places to access them (not at a flag): Warehouses (including headquarters) and ports. I think having the button at those buildings is semantically better than having it at a flag.

Apart from the semantics, accessing all of them will also be faster, because the player can step through them with the Building Statistics.

Edited: 2019-02-17, 15:54

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Goofy
Version: 1.1 release
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-02-18, 14:03

I hope my comment will be right here at this topic? face-upset.png

Last game I found, that all my mines stopped often their production by telling me gold, iron and coal would not needed for the moment... face-surprise.png

...erm... my mind is: better I want find those products in my warehouse, then later maybe an enemy will get it...! face-grin.png

But I found no button at the mine option window for continuing the production (by ignoring other default economy settings). Is there maybe another way to controlling the mine production?

Edited: 2019-02-18, 14:04

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-18, 14:44

Goofy wrote:

But I found no button at the mine option window for continuing the production (by ignoring other default economy settings). Is there maybe another way to controlling the mine production?

Only way to control production is by setting the economy target. One aspect of empire mission 3 is to teach the player some basic behaviour of these settings.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-18, 16:43

We also have an economy tutorial that you could play.

I have created a bug for the economy settings: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1816457

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Goofy
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-02-19, 07:57

Thank you dear hessenfarmer and GunChleoc, face-smile.png

Oh my yes, the tutorial missions... face-surprise.png

Yes, of course I had played them all AND I enjoyed them! ...But, it was two years ago! face-smile-big.png

Well unfortunately I was absent some time from Widelands. So you find with me a returner, who is thinking: "oh, let me just jump in for a quickly training..." But oki, I realise now, that it could be, that I have just forgotten some details... face-grin.png

On the other hand you can see at that example, what someone like me will maybe missing spontaneously.

Thank You dear GunChleoc, for putting this on the "bug-list"...! ...Yes, it feels very good, that we will get maybe soon a new control-button at the mine buildings... face-kiss.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-19, 10:09

Goofy wrote:

Thank you dear hessenfarmer and GunChleoc, face-smile.png

you're welcome

Thank You dear GunChleoc, for putting this on the "bug-list"...! ...Yes, it feels very good, that we will get maybe soon a new control-button at the mine buildings... face-kiss.png

That is not what the bug is about. The bug will add a button to all warehouses to access the economy settings instead of accessing them from a flag

Top Quote
Goofy
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-02-20, 08:45

That is not what the bug is about. The bug will add a button to all warehouses to access the economy settings instead of accessing them from a flag

Now I have discovered, where I can find the economy settings... I hope... face-grin.png

It is inside the Building Statistic, if I click on a building there... face-smile.png

...And I guess, if I set there the productivity of a mine to 100%, it will always continue extracting ore and minerals as much as it possible by using the existing resources of food, beer and wine?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-20, 09:41

no you can access the economy setting from a flag in that economy. (there might be multiple economies in your game but that's a different topic).
In the economy setting you can adjust the amount of wares that you want to have on stock. the economy then tries to fulfil this.
A building is only working if the economy demands the output of that building. the demand is calculated by the economy stock setting and the demand of buildings using this ware.
Only buildings that do not need any input are working endlessly (lumberjacks, quarries, wells, etc)

Best would be to try the economy tutorial to learn about that. In fact this is a much shorter way than to wait for us to answer. Although we will try our best to give meaningful answers.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-02-20, 17:42

Yep, definitely play the economy tutorial, available since Build 19.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote