Latest Posts

Topic: Peaceful mode

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-12-06, 21:25

After playing a round of Wood Gnome with WorldSavior, the idea for a peaceful mode rises up (again).

Except the win condition 'Autocrat' every other wincondition should not allow attacking a foreign military site. This would focus the mind to the chosen wincondition. Otherwise, if attacking is allowed, one can play just like autocrat and will mostly win the game. I think this is not what is wanted.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-12-08, 16:35

-1 from my side. At least the territory win conditions rely on the possibility to attack as attacking military sites is currently the only possibility to get a bigger territory. same for artefacts. However I would not mind to define real peacfull conditions and probably add wood gnome to them.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-12-08, 16:43

I think that kaputtnik means that peaceful mode would be optional. So if someone wants to play current woodgnome, it will still be possible. At least that's what I would suggest.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-12-09, 18:51

I am for this change, but as it was mentioned by WorldSavior, it should be an option for some (not all!) win conditions.

Probably for B21 win conditions will change significantly.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-12-09, 20:55

hessenfarmer wrote:

-1 from my side. At least the territory win conditions rely on the possibility to attack as attacking military sites is currently the only possibility to get a bigger territory.

I think this a wrong assumption. Territorial win conditions rely on the territory one has owned, not to the one who pinched it from the opponent. The one who expand his territory very fast will win the game. I have to admit that i am not very familiar with those winconditions though face-upset.png

same for artefacts.

Yes, the artifacts wincondition need some rethinking regarding this point of view.

However I would not mind to define real peacfull conditions and probably add wood gnome to them.

Optional would the best option face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
fraang

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-12-10, 11:02

If the Peaceful Mode is optional I am all in. It is a useful addition to enforce certain rules in-game. This is especially useful with players you don't know yet. Also you may be able to filter games based on that rules? This would make the conditions and rules clear upfront, so stuff like "I didn't know that!" doesn't come up.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-12-11, 16:21

I am not sure who was that, but for sure quite recently. Somebody said that Widelands has lack of additional rules in comparison with Settlers II game cover: Return to the roots.

I have tried that version of the game, and I have seen dozens of meaningless options. Meaningless to me, because I didn't know the gameplay. But all the additional options were hidden. You had to select "advanced options" to see them. That was acceptable. If you don't know them, you just don't go to "advanced".

But there was lack of predefined options. Widelands is much more complex than root Settlers II, even with additional rules. We have wood gnome, which can be from default "peaceful". And you have "autocrat", which cannot be peaceful. Also there is an "artifacts" which should be (from my perspective) not peaceful as default, but can be peaceful. So defining all the exceptions is a very complex task, but for sure it will add possibilities and will be very useful to the game!

As I can see, we are adding more and more possibilities (f.e. discussion how long should be waterways), so this mechanism (additional options, some of them predefined according to main win conditions) would be very useful.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-12-12, 22:15

What about bonus-malus? For example malus for each defeated building and kills. Bonus for lost buildings and casualties.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-12-16, 20:31

kaputtnik wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

-1 from my side. At least the territory win conditions rely on the possibility to attack as attacking military sites is currently the only possibility to get a bigger territory.

I think this a wrong assumption. Territorial win conditions rely on the territory one has owned, not to the one who pinched it from the opponent. The one who expand his territory very fast will win the game. I have to admit that i am not very familiar with those winconditions though face-upset.png

Territorial Win Conditions could become unwinnable in peaceful mode if there are more than 2 teams, because you need to own more than 1/2 of the territory. That could be mitigated if we changed the winning trigger to 1/(number of teams) of the territory.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
EgyLynx

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2018-12-16, 20:54

Even peaceful leader needs strong army...

Well... even select not capture mode at these Ai them try capture these whose weaker than them... ?

Top Quote