Latest Posts

Topic: early advanced soldier gameplay balance

WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-26, 23:35

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Ah, so I'm not up to date and those issues I mention about attack and defence values were already solved.

Yes, that happens if you don't want to play face-wink.png

As for the part about trainers, the atlantean issue could be fixed by having the master trainer be a different worker that has to be made from top level military gear. so atlanteans would still need to make 2 sets of high level gear before they could promote any soldier to full.

Maybe it would be better to make those changes optional, because the current game is really good.

I still do believe it's best for the game balance if we stop the ways to get early supersoldiers. the game is made with many different shades of soldiers, and it is a shame to skip through all of them. Plus, it would be much easier to get balanced tribes if we didn't have to worry about the advantage of having the supersoldier 10 minutes before the opponent.

There could be new difficulties about balance. And imagine all the annoying micromanagement if you have to send the same soldiers into the trainingssites over and over again.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-27, 09:01

annoying micromanagement if you have to send the same soldiers into the trainingssites over and over again

That would be a bug. It should be prohibited to send soldiers that cannot be trained.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-27, 09:28

Let's fall it an engine flaw - to the economy, all soldiers are the same except for some scoring to decide whether a soldier has a higher or lower level in general, for the "prefer heroes/rookies" function. So, for fixing this, the economy requests coming from the trainingsites need to be redesigned.

I'd be in favor of getting rid of the micromanagement in trainingsites.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-27, 09:58

@GunChleoc: +1 for good idea how to solve the problem in more general way.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-27, 10:06

einstein13 wrote:

annoying micromanagement if you have to send the same soldiers into the trainingssites over and over again

That would be a bug. It should be prohibited to send soldiers that cannot be trained.

I think you got WorldSavior wrong. soldiers are currently only requested if they can be trained. but after they have trained they go to a Military site where they are requested if you want to have an explicit soldier trained you Need to kick him out of a Military building and send him to the Training site. If your Trainer Needs to levle up and can only train to his own Level this process Need to be done much more often. So there is currently no bug.
@ GunChleoc: the logic of the Training sites to accept/request soldiers is deifferent from "prefer rookies / heros" for each Training cycle (attack, health, defense and evade) each Training site defines a minimum Level and a Maximum Level which it accepts.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-27, 10:09

Generally spoken:
having the best soldier at the earliest time will always be an advantage and therefore it will be the goal of each player in multiplayer games. Having the trainer experience concept implemented will only increase difficulty to have this but not changing the thing completely.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-27, 18:35

GunChleoc wrote:

I'd be in favor of getting rid of the micromanagement in trainingsites.

How exactly?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-28, 07:50

I don't know. Prefering heroes would be a good start.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
dreieck
Version: -git
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-09-28, 11:50

Hm.

Observing the discussions on the forum, I see that soldiers are quite important to many.

Although it is statet to be mainly a game about economy and not about military, it seems that the economy is just there to "serve" the military. (Technically, it is a lot about economy, philosophically it ist mainly about military, in my understanding).

I usually don't like the military part -- I like logistics.

I am completely fine how the game is, but I do not like the (felt) discrepancy I mentioned above. Let's call it a military game with a strong focus on economy.

Hm.

(empty signature.)

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-28, 15:31

dreieck wrote:

Hm.

Observing the discussions on the forum, I see that soldiers are quite important to many.

Although it is statet to be mainly a game about economy and not about military, it seems that the economy is just there to "serve" the military. (Technically, it is a lot about economy, philosophically it ist mainly about military, in my understanding).

I usually don't like the military part -- I like logistics.

I am completely fine how the game is, but I do not like the (felt) discrepancy I mentioned above. Let's call it a military game with a strong focus on economy.

Hm.

+1

I have similar feelings...

Top Quote