Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: A couple of minor suggestions

einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-18, 09:59

As I heard, the building icon below the mouse pointer was connected to Settlers 1 solution for no-mouse devices. The mechanic was good for that times and it was not needed never again.

Also I think that most of the players are using names, statistics and building help icons enabled for most of the time. Adding 3rd option for build help seems to be the best one. It would add something new and good for Widelands! face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-18, 10:10

No third option is needed - buildhelp off would be identical to "Show buildhelp icons in radius n" with the radius set to 0.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
dreieck
Version: -git
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-09-18, 11:31

Nordfriese wrote:

Those numbers would probably be too tiny to read... maybe we could have a tooltip. Some creative icon redesign might also solve the issue.

I don´t think showing them over the soldiers´ heads could look good. How about showing them in military building windows? There is currently one line of training level info for the soldier that is pointed at; we could have another line underneath showing the exact numbers.

I would like to see it also for enemy soldiers. You already see their training levels, so with knowledge about their meaning you could calculate how this soldier compares to yours. I would like to see this more quickly without needing to know numbers and calculate, even if the comparison is not very-exact.

(empty signature.)

Top Quote
dreieck
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-09-18, 11:37

hessenfarmer wrote:

2 quick ideas for preventing the cursor being to jumpy:

a) have 3 options for the build help: on, off and on cursor
b) only show the icon if the mousepointer hovers longer than 0.5 seconds on the same spot.

Perhaps both can be combined.

I disfavour b), because then a quick scan of a small area takes too long. I favour a).

(empty signature.)

Top Quote
dreieck
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-09-18, 11:39

I noticed in the development build, the work area of buildings you click on is always disabled by default.

I find this annoying, since I often click on buildings to see their working area to plan further building.

I would like that the default for the next building you click on is the setting you had choosen lastly, i.e. if you clicked on a farm, switched on the work area showing, then you click on a lumberjack, it starts with work area showing on since it was last switched on.

(empty signature.)

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-18, 14:45

dreieck wrote:

I noticed in the development build, the work area of buildings you click on is always disabled by default.

I find this annoying, since I often click on buildings to see their working area to plan further building.

There was a quick discussion a month or two ago about that and we chosen that we should disable area by default. Just because most of the clicks on buildings are upgrading buildings (mostly mines) and the area is almost always hidden by mouse click. I guess that there is an option for enabling working area (but I am not sure about that - just check on options menu).

If you are playing for hours, time spent on planning and building is minor in comparison of upgrading mines (Empire & Barbarians).

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-19, 18:52

einstein13 wrote:

If you are playing for hours, time spent on planning and building is minor in comparison of upgrading mines (Empire & Barbarians).

My main reason for preferring atlanteans, incidentally

But this makes me think of an old proposal that was never implemented: how about allowing autoupgrade of buildings? Make an option you can tick that once a mine is exhausted, it will automatically put out all the food (there are proposals for automatically unloading a building before it is upgraded or dismantled) and then upgrade the mine without bothering the player. Ideally, such an option could be chosen once a mine is first built, so one can launch a mine construction, tick the autoupgrade option, and forget about it.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-24, 12:37

Patches welcome face-wink.png

We have had a few good old ideas being brought up by new members again - I think it would save us some time if you could try searching our bugs on Launchpad first to see if it has already been suggested face-wink.png

Do keep those ideas coming though! face-grin.png

Edited: 2018-09-24, 12:39

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote