Latest Posts

Topic: Changing order of wares in inventory

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-20, 18:15

It's often useful to tell a warehouse to prefer (for example) all building materials. With barbarians it's very easy, you just make one move with the mouse and you can choose every building material (with exception of metals). But other tribes have building materials at different places.

So I'm wondering: Maybe the order of wares in the inventory (so also in economy settings and so on) should be changed? What do you think about that?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-20, 20:28

The problem is that some wares are used for buildings AND weapons. But i generally agree that empire marble and marble columns should be in the same column than log and planks face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-21, 01:21

kaputtnik wrote:

The problem is that some wares are used for buildings AND weapons.

Yes

But i generally agree that empire marble and marble columns should be in the same column than log and planks face-smile.png

That would be part of my plan. Then below that there could be cloth (building material as well), and below that wool. That would be a novelty because normally the products are below, but the advantage would be that many building resources would be together.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-21, 09:28

Wares order is defined in data/tribes/<tribename>.lua

I think wares should have named categories in the future, defined per tribe. This would also help with permanently fixing the food input bug we had just recently in the Encyclopedia. We will need to analyse the data carefully though to see if each ware can have just 1 category or if some of them need multiple categories.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-08-21, 20:26

A possibly related issue is the order that wares exit a warehouse when forced to do so. I'm not sure what would be the best exiting order, but the current one is annoying.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-21, 22:11

ypopezios wrote:

A possibly related issue is the order that wares exit a warehouse when forced to do so. I'm not sure what would be the best exiting order, but the current one is annoying.

Why annoying?

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-08-22, 18:31

@WorldSavior

Imagine a warehouse in danger (like in various campaign scenarios). You want to move as many wares as possible from that warehouse to a safer one. And at the same time you have to take care of the rest of your economy, while expanding towards a safer direction. So you select all the wares in the warehouse and click to remove them. After some time, you go back to check how the removal is progressing. And instead of seeing a variety of wares heading to safety, you see the roads flooded by just one ware which you happened to have in abundance (like logs), while more important wares (like tools) are still waiting for their turn and in danger of being lost. That order is not intuitive and nowhere documented, so you have to micromanage your own order.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-24, 18:59

I can think of 2 strategies for this:

1. A simple round-robin
  2. Highest preciousness first
  3. A combination of 1. and 2.
  4. Something really smart that takes multiple factors into account

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-24, 20:11

simplest way is to take out one ware of each type, so you'll get out pretty fast the more expensive wares, of which you have lower numbers. Though chooosing wares by hand remains the best way.

As for tthe origiinal question, nothing against it. I don't see it as terribly important, because you can select two columns and then deselect the part of a column with the wares you don't need, so you only spend a few more seconds. But I see no reason not to

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-08-25, 23:38

Concerning the position of the wares, I could dream of a special mode where the user could drag-and-drop their positions wherever he likes (an intermediate step could be to define it in a Lua file).

Concerning the order of exiting, I could dream of it being the order that the user selects them before pressing their exit button. Round-robin could be used by AI. Preciousness should be reserved for transferring order, as it applies more to individual wares than to whole types of them. For example, logs could be available in abundance (thus not much precious), but the specific ones needed in a specific construction site can be of top preciousness.

Top Quote