Latest Posts

Topic: Getting more troops

jonnye90
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2018-07-15, 12:28

I'm 2 days in to playing Widelands and loving it, but a little help please. How do i get more troops, i've lots of military buildings but not enough troops to fill them. Do I need some sort of equipment to turn workers into troops (I'm playing as Barbarians)?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-15, 13:51

Yes, soldiers need weapons, and for some tribes, they need some form of armor too.

Look at Workers -> Soldier in the in-game help and take it from there, or play the military tutorial.

Also, you will need a Barracks building in a current development version.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-15, 22:09

you need lots of covilian buildings to get soldiers.

Soldiers require axes, which are made by the ax workshop. You can't build the ax workshop directly, but you need to upgrade it from the metal workshop.

The ax workshop needs coal and iron to work. You need a coal mine and an iron mine to supply these, and then you need a smelter to turn iron ore into iron.

The mine requires rations to work, and rations are madde by taverns. They require some input, the cheaper for barbarians is meat, which is gathered by the hunters. the hunters need gamekeepers to get new animals, or they'll run out of animals and stop working.

If you miss just one building in this chain, you wont get new soldiers. And the more building you make, the more soldiers you can get. The slowest step determines how many soldiers you get, so if you have 10 mines but only 1 smelter you get only as many soldiers as the smelter can make iron. Skill at widelands is managing to build big balanced economies that can produce the most, fitting them in the smallest land possible.

Now, if you need to upgrade your mines, or if you0're looking at upgrading your existing soldiers, it gets even more complicated.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-15, 23:20

king_of_nowhere is right, but if you are able to do so, the game is fun! face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-07-16, 03:07

As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words", so below is the relevant picture (click on it for full size) linked from here. Notice the soldier near the bottom-right corner, then follow the flowchart upwards to understand the chain of his production. Again mind that there are some differences between the various versions of Widelands, so the in-game help is where to look for what exactly applies to your version.

Barbarians.png

Top Quote
jonnye90
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2018-07-16, 13:45

thanks everyone for the replies, they enabled me to crack it - problem was not enough axes. I had looked at that and i had 29 of then, but the problem was I also had 29 troops which meant no free axes. - J x

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-16, 22:21

jonnye90 wrote:

thanks everyone for the replies, they enabled me to crack it - problem was not enough axes. I had looked at that and i had 29 of then, but the problem was I also had 29 troops which meant no free axes. - J x

actually, axes used by troops are not counted in the stock. So, if you have 29 troops and 29 axes, you could make 29 more troops.

are you using the base build or a trunk version? because in the trunk version you need a barracks to make troops. that could be another reason. i can think of no other reason you would have 29 axes but no soldiers.

Top Quote