Latest Posts

Topic: Egyptians

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-08, 15:33

Perhaps it would be good to have an overview of the current discussion in the first post. Like the one that the Hunter posted in the beginning, listing buildings and wares and training levels and so on.

regarding training: I vould vote for the no attack training option. As this would allow for other tactics as with the other tribes if we get this balanced.
regarding the carrier. I proposed to have a second human carrier as in the Asterix comics the big stones for pyramids are moved by use of logs and slaves. Isn't that a good education ;-). But if we go back to Camels we could use them as well to produce milk for meals and meat. somewhat similar to the frisian reindeer farms.
Next question is what are the basic building materials? Sandstone of course, but then wood?, Planks?, Cloth? gems? what will ships be constructed of? Will workers need experience or not? As a developed civilization Egyptians shouldn't need much experience to upgrade buildings from my point of view. Therefore they could have a bigger variety of buildings. However I'd like the idea of growing work radius with growing experience. for the dates and palm concept we need special palms for every world.

Regarding the nomads we shouldn't forget them. So please ypopezios could you add the sum of your thoughts about nomads to another thread or to the thread where all new tribe ideas are collected or both of them to ensure the idea will be not forgotten.

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-07-08, 16:00

I would suggest a seperate thread for nomads, the concept is good as well different and mixing them both in one thread might get confusing.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-08, 18:31

Regarding nomads, I hve a hard times picturing nomads in widelands. This game is all about building. It does not support a nomadic economy of moving from place to place.

Regarding attack, I think a tribe without attack promotions could be an interesting variation, but to avoid having too long battles, it needs to be tempered somehow. So I would suggest an egyptian level 0 soldier would have maybe twice the attack and half the healt of other level 0 soldiers, so it would be balanced, and it would gradually gain healt and defence. that way, combat of high level egyptian troops would last... only 4 times longer than among other tribes. Damn, still quite long. You can already make buildings in the time a battle occurs. it would be unhealty for the game to have fighting prolonged too much, especially in the case of a bottleneck preventing too many fights from happening at the same time

EDIT: maybe no attack at all is too radical, but amazons had an outline for little attack that could be fine.

In that outline there were 2 attack promotions, were meant to be cheap and be the equivalent of evade promotions for other tribes. 3 evade steps were more expensive and less good individually, and were meant to have the same value return of the attack promotions for most tribes. maybe this model could be applied here

Edited: 2018-07-08, 18:39

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-08, 21:37

Regarding nomads, I hve a hard times picturing nomads in widelands. This game is all about building. It does not support a nomadic economy of moving from place to place.

I don't stick to the topic, but this was a bit curious to me. There are possibilities to make nomadic economy, but it is very hard. Very... And probably it is not the best fit for current situation of Widelands.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-07-08, 22:17

einstein13 wrote:

I don't stick to the topic, but this was a bit curious to me. There are possibilities to make nomadic economy, but it is very hard. Very... And probably it is not the best fit for current situation of Widelands.

I created a thread for nomads, if only to save this one from further off-topic comments. Please put your thoughts there instead (and while being on that, also make an effort to relax and think outside the box), thanks.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-08, 22:53

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Regarding attack, I think a tribe without attack promotions could be an interesting variation,.....You can already make buildings in the time a battle occurs.

that is offering a lot of new tactics to the game. At least we should give it a try and let Einstein do some calculations.

it would be unhealty for the game to have fighting prolonged too much, especially in the case of a bottleneck preventing too many fights from happening at the same time

can't see why this would be unhealthy. It just requires different tactics

EDIT: maybe no attack at all is too radical, but amazons had an outline for little attack that could be fine.

In that outline there were 2 attack promotions, were meant to be cheap and be the equivalent of evade promotions for other tribes. 3 evade steps were more expensive and less good individually, and were meant to have the same value return of the attack promotions for most tribes. maybe this model could be applied here

Hm maybe 1 attack promotion might be necessary. But I would appreciate to have not more or even no attack promotion.

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-07-08, 23:06

Guys sorry for not writing i was busy i started modeling today and i have an idea.Im going to post my progress every 3 days so you can see how close i am to completing tribe.I will still accept more ideas feel free to post here.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-09, 20:06

Just a heads up that there are changes coming to the building/worker/immovable programs:

https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/bug-1733064-program-redesign/+merge/349100

I recommend that you do your design on the new model, so that we won't have to end up converting everything. If you're on Windows you can get AppVeyor builds from that branch. Documentation is created via Python + Sphinx on the source code:

cd doc/sphinx
./extract.py
make html

The generated HTML documentation will be put in doc/sphinx/build/html

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-12, 23:38

The branch is in - the documentation should update itself on the homepage soon. You can continue working off trunk now face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote