Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands customization

TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-07-01, 20:59

I saw somewhere that there is a way to customize widelands.Well my question is:Can we add new tribes to the game?I have tried something and it doesnt seem to work.If we can create new tribes please provide me with some info.Thank you.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-01, 21:39

TheHunter wrote:

I saw somewhere that there is a way to customize widelands.Well my question is:Can we add new tribes to the game?I have tried something and it doesnt seem to work.If we can create new tribes please provide me with some info.Thank you.

You can do this, but it is an awful lot of work. You need to create all of the lua files for the tribe, and add the info about the tribe to some config files. If you compare the build 19 \data\tribes folder with the same folder of an actual dev version you can see what has been necessary to create the frisians. I think you really need to understand what these files do, to be able to create a new tribe. Unfortunately there isn't a quick and easy way.
However there are a couple of ideas in the forum for new tribes. So if you really wan't to take the pain and work on this you could take these threads (to be found in game suggestions) as an inspiration.

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-07-01, 22:53

Well i expected hard work however i dont have anything to do so...lets get to work.But first i will search for some inspiration.Thank you.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-02, 07:18

The work for a new tribe is really hard. You may take a look at the branch which introduces the frisians tribe: https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trunk/revision/8625 One has to create/modify each shown file.

Especially creating the graphics is a sophisticated task. If you know to work with Blender this task is maybe easy for you.

But there are also other possibilities to Customize/enhance widelands, e.g. Creating Scenarios/Campaigns / Scenario first steps

You may also take a look at Contribute face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-02, 21:49

If you want to go for it I would be happy to support. Most Ideas have been collected about the amazons
but there are some other ideas

Beside the work to create a new tribe we have to think about balancing for all win conditions concurrently, to avoid some real incompatibilities between the existing tribes.

Edited: 2018-07-02, 21:49

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-07-03, 22:25

Well you see i had couple of ideas I thought a little bit about egyptians,they will be smillar to Atlanteans,

Wares:

Log-Normal log everyone uses

Sandstone-smillar to granite/stone that other tribes use.

Planks-Nothing special used for building

Gold ore-Mined from mountains

Coal-Mined from mountains

Copper-used for weapons and tools

Fish-main food of egyptians

Meat-Nothing special

Reeds-Used for cloth

wheat-Used for wheat flour

Wheat flour-used in bakery for bread

Cloth-Made out of reeds.

And crystals-Mined in mountains.

-----------------BUILDINGS--------------------

Woodcutter-Cuts wood

Stonecutter-Mines sandstone

Fishers hut-Gets fish from rivers

Hunters hut-Hunts animals for meat

Reed farmer-farms reed for ropes

Palm planter-hut-plants palms for woodcutter

well-produces water.

Barrier-small military building.

Bakery-produces bread

Kitchen-Makes rations can be enchanced into Royal kitchen and produce snacks.

Smeltery-Smelts ores

Workshop-Creates tools/if enhanced into Smithy creates weapons.

Military building(give a name if you have idea)

Horse breeder-Breeds horses for faster transportation of ware.

Farm-grows wheat

Pyramid-Training site for defense

Gladiator arena-Training site for health/evade

Fort-Like castle houses soldiers

Port-Used for transporting wares across sea.

And shipyard-Creates ships.

------------------SOLDIERS-----------------

Egyptians soldiers can be trained in only defense health and evade.

Weapons:

Wooden spear - made out of 2 wood

Stone spear - made out of 3 wood and 3 sandstone

Copper spear - Made out of 3 planks and 2 copper

Golden spear - made out of 4 planks and 3 gold

Double golden spear - made out of 3 wood 3 planks and 5 gold

Armor:

Cloth armor-Basic protection made out of 3 cloth and 2 reeds

Reinforced cloth armor- better protection made out of 4 cloth 3 reeds and 1 copper

Copper armor-Good protection made out of 4 copper and 2 cloth

Pharaoh armor-Best protection made out of 4 gold 3 copper

This is the idea i had on mind if you dont like something just say it i will change it also i wont start working before community says i can start so if you have any modification write it now so i can change it.Hope you like my idea.

Edited: 2018-07-03, 22:28

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-03, 22:57

feel free to create and try. It will likely need a lot of balancing after the work, as was the case for frisians, but that's just normal.

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-07-04, 01:03

Could you share a little about your "vision" for the new tribe? For example, will it be an effort to imitate the historical civilization? What do you think of the fact that Egyptians aren't remembered as explorers of new lands? When I hear about ancient Egyptians, my mind goes to pyramids, slaves, hieroglyphs, sand, chariots, Nile, crocodiles, papyrus etc. Do you plan to also create (or at least write for someone else to create) some scenarios for the new tribe? Will it present some particular challenge or need some special approach from the player? In other words, try to provide some kind of justification for how that tribe may enrich Widelands. That way you may attract some more attention from the community. And be prepared for negative attention as well (I mean more than usual), which is probably the hardest part. Particularly since a new tribe isn't high in the list of things currently missing in Widelands, you will need some other source of personal motivation, so a "vision" is very important to keep you going during the hard times.

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-07-04, 11:40

For that vision i dont think it will be too hard to imitate it.It will take some time to create it and yes i plan to write 2 scenarios to introduce player to tribe.That way players will know what building does what and it will be easier for them to play as egyptians.Now im still in planing stage so i have to design all wares,buildings,workers etc.I think game needs more tribes because it gets little boring to play with only 3 tribes.I think Frisians,Egyptians and Amazons would be great in game.

O yeah can you suggest me a program for drawing i was using Paint 3D it helps a little bit if i am editing current buildings.Thank you.

Top Quote
EgyLynx

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2018-07-04, 12:14

Some said at Empire at repersent Rome, give them at pyramids and youre it... Sorry, it must say.

Well...Misrms was and are son of Nile... although them look at little changed.

Top Quote