Latest Posts

Topic: Transportation system bug (& some more)

Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-10, 06:37

I opened new game and target for soldiers is set to 10.

Top Quote
einstein13
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-10, 07:57

king_of_nowhere wrote:

what version are you using einstein? mine is 8635 and my soldiers are produced regularly

I am also playing 8635 and I have constant 136 soldiers in my warehouse, empty Colloseums and idling Barracks.

About the transportation bug, yesterday I have spot very strange situation: a piece of bread was going from the port to the nearest flag and instead of going further, a carrier took this bread back to the port. It is going funny to me. face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-10, 13:33

einstein13 wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

what version are you using einstein? mine is 8635 and my soldiers are produced regularly

I am also playing 8635 and I have constant 136 soldiers in my warehouse, empty Colloseums and idling Barracks.

Maybe they are all promoted in evade? in which case they would not be generated anew and they would not go to the colosseums. It's not a bug, it's a feature. That way, you avoid using resources to make new soldiers and make sure they are focused on promoting those you already have. Only problem is, it stops when all your soldiers arre fully promoted, but that's unlikely enough in a normal game. And you can always increase the target amount.

Top Quote
einstein13
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-10, 23:31

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Maybe they are all promoted in evade? in which case they would not be generated anew and they would not go to the colosseums.

That is correct

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

So I don't like this feature face-wink.png

einstein13

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-14, 09:10

I think the real issue here is UI - you can't see which promotions the soldiers in your warehouses have.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-04-14, 12:01

Maybe they are all promoted in evade?

I think the real issue here is UI - you can't see which promotions the soldiers in your warehouses have.

How precisely should those be displayed? Atlanteans have about 90 different combinations of promotions. There are probably some good ways to visualize it. Also many bad ones.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-14, 14:09

teppo wrote:

Maybe they are all promoted in evade?

How precisely should those be displayed? Atlanteans have about 90 different combinations of promotions. There are probably some good ways to visualize it. Also many bad ones.

the easier way to do it would be to display the number of individual promotions: 90 soldiers, 45 evade 2, 3 evade 1, 31 attack 4, 16 attack 3 and so on. Sure, it would not tell you if the soldiers promoted in attack also have evade or if they are different soldiers, but i don't see how that information could be conveyed (or even mined quickly from the game data) in an easy way.

I also proposed some time ago to divide the worker "soldier" into several workers, just like there is a distinction for miners and master miners based on xp: so soldiers with no promotions would be "recruit soldiers", with 1 to 3 promotions would be "soldiers", 4 to 6 promotions would be "veteran soldiers", and then "elite" and "champion" for the fully promoted ones. promotions would work the same, but you could see at a glance how many soldiers you have in each category

Top Quote
einstein13
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-14, 20:01

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I also proposed some time ago to divide the worker "soldier" into several workers, just like there is a distinction for miners and master miners based on xp: so soldiers with no promotions would be "recruit soldiers", with 1 to 3 promotions would be "soldiers", 4 to 6 promotions would be "veteran soldiers", and then "elite" and "champion" for the fully promoted ones. promotions would work the same, but you could see at a glance how many soldiers you have in each category

From my side it is a very good solution! Except I don't like so many categories. I would prefer 4 as max. So, for example:

• 0...1 - recruit
  • 2...5 - soldier
  • 5...8 - veteran
  • 9...max - champion

Of course we can check the numbers of power very strict with all cases and then make a decision face-smile.png .

For this particular problems UI is not an issue. I know that I don't have any soldiers without evade, because if I let the barracks working, all soldiers will go to colloseums first, then (if all are filled) to the warehouse.

einstein13

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-14, 20:25

But we already have one division: rookies vs heroes...

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-04-14, 22:47

Tibor wrote:

But we already have one division: rookies vs heroes...

we don't. military buildings can be set to choose soldiers with more or less promotions, but all soldiers are treated the same by the code. that would be about having different wares so that one could set a warehouse to take untrained soldier and another to take only highly trained ones. military power could be assessed more easily from the stock screen

Top Quote