Latest Posts

Topic: Tavern -> Inn upgrade

einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-29, 09:14

Widelands works well as combat game and almost everyone plays it as a combat game.

Probably now you are right. Several years ago it was different. Probably only a few people (king_of_nowhere) knew how to make good soldiers as fast as possible. I guess that Tinker thinks about Widelands in an old way. I like that. I like to play Widelands as economy game. Also the main idea of the game was also economy, not war. War was rather side effect face-wink.png .

I have also some plans in development for upgrades to Atlantians workers and buildings.

Please don't force everyone to replace the official game with your mods.

I agree with WorldSavior here: we shouldn't change "hi-tech" tribe. They supposed to have all buildings done in the highest level. The don't enhance mines, weapon production and food-production buildings.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-29, 16:36

einstein13 wrote:

Widelands works well as combat game and almost everyone plays it as a combat game.

Probably now you are right. Several years ago it was different. Probably only a few people (king_of_nowhere) knew how to make good soldiers as fast as possible. I guess that Tinker thinks about Widelands in an old way. I like that. I like to play Widelands as economy game. Also the main idea of the game was also economy, not war. War was rather side effect face-wink.png .

How played the majority of players Widelands during that time - only peaceful wood gnome, territorial time and collectors? face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
fuchur

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-01-29, 22:17

WorldSavior wrote:

How played the majority of players Widelands during that time - only peaceful wood gnome, territorial time and collectors? face-wink.png

Surely I'm not the majority of players, but in the old days (when I had time playing) I mostly played as single player without AI opponent. It was fun to explore unknown maps, learn the tribes and try to create a good working economy.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-30, 09:57

WorldSavior wrote:

einstein13 wrote:

Probably now you are right. Several years ago it was different. (...) War was rather side effect face-wink.png .

How played the majority of players Widelands during that time - only peaceful wood gnome, territorial time and collectors? ;-)

No. As I said: they were fighting at the end. Most of the time was economy and expansion. War was about 25%-40% of gametime (dependent on players). I like to play Widelands where 10% of time is sending attacks, 20% expansion and the rest is economy. I don't like fighting. But now the game has changed (on multiplayer battles).

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-30, 12:37

I think it's already complicated enough for the player to make sure that enhanced workers are available for mines - Barbarians are supposed to be a beginners' tribe, so I don't think that we would gain much by adding a second bottleneck to the same upgrade. If you have multiple taverns and mines, you already need to manually evict workers until they end up in the correct spots, e.g. in the Empire 3 scenario. Having to do that for a second building type at the same time wouldn't add to the fun for me.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-30, 20:08

fuchur wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Surely I'm not the majority of players, but in the old days (when I had time playing) I mostly played as single player without AI opponent. It was fun to explore unknown maps, learn the tribes and try to create a good working economy.

Interesting... As the build 18 AI is not doing that much anyway, I can understand this a little bit face-wink.png

einstein13 wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

einstein13 wrote:

Probably now you are right. Several years ago it was different. (...) War was rather side effect face-wink.png .

How played the majority of players Widelands during that time - only peaceful wood gnome, territorial time and collectors? ;-)

No. As I said: they were fighting at the end. Most of the time was economy and expansion. War was about 25%-40% of gametime (dependent on players). I like to play Widelands where 10% of time is sending attacks, 20% expansion and the rest is economy. I don't like fighting. But now the game has changed (on multiplayer battles).

Okay...

Top Quote
fuchur

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-01-31, 21:36

WorldSavior wrote:

fuchur wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Interesting... As the build 18 AI is not doing that much anyway, I can understand this a little bit face-wink.png

Well, I didn't think of build 18 when I wrote that. In fact I played one or two games against AI with build 18. I had the really old times in mind. The oldest version I have in my software archive is build 12 face-wink.png I'm not really sure, maybe I started even with something older. I remember the Atlantean buildings consisting of dummy images (white triangle or something like that).

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-03, 13:38

fuchur wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

fuchur wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Well, I didn't think of build 18 when I wrote that. In fact I played one or two games against AI with build 18. I had the really old times in mind. The oldest version I have in my software archive is build 12 face-wink.png I'm not really sure, maybe I started even with something older. I remember the Atlantean buildings consisting of dummy images (white triangle or something like that).

Okay. I meant: If the build 18 AI is not so good, probably the even older AIs are even worse. Or does someone remember an AI which is older than the build 18 AI, but better?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-03, 23:18

Hi,
Although I think the modification would nicely fit into the barbarians and not so well into empire I can see the point in not changing the "official" tribes much. Especially if there is not a big consensus in the community (and I can't see this yet). So I would rather opt for not merging this into trunk.

Top Quote