Latest Posts

Topic: arena/warehouses/military buildings/etc

Sirion

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-04-28, 16:50

I played for a little while now and wanted to post my troubles even though most of them are present somewhere on the forums I had trouble digging all of them up

1. Arena dosn't work if it went out of bread and is now refilled

2. there is no option for the smelter to stop iron production and continue gold production

3. there is no option to make soldiers go to a different warehouse (like establishing one at the front and now I want to move them over there) the same with regular wares

4. the whole upgrade system didn't work for me once after the tutorial barbarian missions and the imperium campaign

5. build a military buiding then destroy it keep the teritory... fine I'ld think an approach like destroy building territory is gone but the ability to reduce soldiers to zero like in the settlers 2 3d would be better because it really sucks to conquer enemies buildings from north and south and finally having all captured but he still has territory inbetween I cannot capture (mainly encountered at headquarters because AI dosn't destroy buildings)

6. economy is really stupid I have a long stretched empire a woodcutters on both ends also I have a construction site on both ends I call the ends of my empire A and B Woodcutter(A) gets a trunk done construction site(B) gets trunk first so it goes down all the way to B then Woodcutter(B) gets a trunk done and it gets carried to construction site(A)... when manually cutting all roads inbetween they manage to get trunk A to site A and trunk B to site B but I probably crush the rest of the economy

7. on uneven terrain small military buildings like barracks often don't even cover enough territory to place the next building as I can destroy the building and build another one that's ok for me but seriously is far from the behaviour of the settlers which may be wanted and maybe not

8. I had a barrier(which I conquered) next to a sentry (I conquered before the barrier) they stood right next to each other but none of them seemed to protect the other one?

9. after having trouble with the not gcc version (can be found in the forums) I installed the gcc version... it gives serious trouble if using in fullscreen and send to background (alt+tab) it dosn't let loose of the mouse (windows 7 if of concern)

10. I'm missing boats but they'll probably come in a later version so that's ok for me

11. any keymap anywhere? I tried hard to find anything to speedup the game so far I found: F10 - exit without prompt (was frustrated when I found out because I didn't have a savegame for the last 45 minutes) s & c for buildign names and productivity/status (can't remember which one did what) pos1 center screen at headquarter which are (except for F10) the same as for settlers 2 and now I finally found spdup and spddwn (pageup&pagedwn) in the faq

12. bugtracker is concealed in the wiki? why is there no direct link or at least a subentry in the main menu?

13. a list of wares like who produces it who consumes it what is it good for would be really helpfull

14. priorities? do they even work? it really bothers me to watch 6 freshly created trunks go directly to buildings I set up for low priority 15 minutes ago instead of the one I set high priority 5 minutes ago

all in all it served for about 16 hours fun gaming and looks appealing to come back every half year to see what it has become but it is far from final but so far it was fun to play it reminded me very much of settlers and revived memories face-smile.png I had a great time keep up the good work it really looks promising

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-04-29, 12:38

Thanks for sharing your experience. Some things to note (I'm assuming you played with build 15; I removed those items where my note would basically be "True, I hope this will be fixed eventually"):

Sirion wrote: Arena dosn't work if it went out of bread and is now refilled

Really? I haven't seen that yet. Is there a bug report? If not, could you provide a savegame and replay and upload it to a bug report. (Edit: There's this forum thread http://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/363/ - but apparently still no bug report that would allow reproducing the problem)

there is no option for the smelter to stop iron production and continue gold production

Not explicitly. However, by clicking on a flag, you can control the desired quantity of items in the economy. If you have no building consuming iron, and you set the desired quantity of iron low enough, iron production should stop automatically, at least I believe so (there are some subtleties with how the rules are set up exactly: some items are produced infinitely while others aren't, and I'm not completely certain about iron; but what I said above is something you should try).

the whole upgrade system didn't work for me once after the tutorial barbarian missions and the imperium campaign

You mean upgrading soldiers? Again, I haven't seen that, and it would be good to provide bug reports.

build a military buiding then destroy it keep the teritory... fine I'ld think an approach like destroy building territory is gone but the ability to reduce soldiers to zero like in the settlers 2 3d would be better because it really sucks to conquer enemies buildings from north and south and finally having all captured but he still has territory inbetween I cannot capture (mainly encountered at headquarters because AI dosn't destroy buildings)

I do think our behavior with respect to territory is better, because you cannot destroy a lot of enemy buildings by conquering a single enemy building. Most of the time, you have to conquer at least two of them to really cause damage. Yes, that means that your progress might be slowed down by the fact that you have to build new military buildings yourself to cover the distance. I think that makes for more interesting choices in defensive strategies (do I risk a building being taken over by the opponent, in the hope that I can conquer it back quickly, or do I tear it down to slow down his progress).

Allowing minimum military building capacity of zero is something that we could consider independently of that.

on uneven terrain small military buildings like barracks often don't even cover enough territory to place the next building as I can destroy the building and build another one that's ok for me but seriously is far from the behaviour of the settlers which may be wanted and maybe not

I've also been annoyed by that, I have to admit. I haven't checked to compare with Settlers in a long time concerning military building radius. I suspect that we're also reducing the buildcaps (which size buildings one can place) more strictly than Settlers on uneven terrain, but I'm not certain.

I had a barrier(which I conquered) next to a sentry (I conquered before the barrier) they stood right next to each other but none of them seemed to protect the other one?

I'm not sure what you mean here.

any keymap anywhere? I tried hard to find anything to speedup the game so far I found: F10 - exit without prompt (was frustrated when I found out because I didn't have a savegame for the last 45 minutes) s & c for buildign names and productivity/status (can't remember which one did what) pos1 center screen at headquarter which are (except for F10) the same as for settlers 2 and now I finally found spdup and spddwn (pageup&pagedwn) in the faq

There's a README file which you can view from the main menu, which should contain all the key bindings. Note that F10 has been changed to Ctrl+F10 post-build-15 to reduce the kind of frustration you mention. (Though I thought autosaves default to every 15 minutes, so you should have had at least an autosave to continue from?)

bugtracker is concealed in the wiki? why is there no direct link or at least a subentry in the main menu?

Agreed. I wouldn't necessarily link to the bugtracker directly. Sometimes people have misconceptions about how the game is supposed to work, and report "game logic bugs" that are actually intended behavior. Some general "I have a problem / bug / whatever, what do I do now" step-by-step guide that is available directly from the main menu would be nice though.

a list of wares like who produces it who consumes it what is it good for would be really helpfull

You can find that on the Wiki, though it can probably be improved. Any improvements would be welcome face-smile.png

priorities? do they even work? it really bothers me to watch 6 freshly created trunks go directly to buildings I set up for low priority 15 minutes ago instead of the one I set high priority 5 minutes ago

Priorities do work, but they're not very drastic. Perhaps the formulas could be tweaked. If I recall correctly, the algorithm basically tries to treat every consumer of a ware equally, except that somebody with high priority gets as many wares as if they were actually multiple buildings. So if you have lots of old low priority buildings, they still can count for more than one new high priority building.

all in all it served for about 16 hours fun gaming and looks appealing to come back every half year to see what it has become but it is far from final but so far it was fun to play it reminded me very much of settlers and revived memories I had a great time keep up the good work it really looks promising

Well, here's hoping to see you around. Obviously, with your help, the game could become even better even quicker face-wink.png

Edited: 2010-04-29, 12:39

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-29, 14:58

to nr 12: When you mouse over the "development" section in the navigation menu, you find direct links to the bug tracker for the website and the game.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-29, 18:35

ixprefect wrote:

Priorities do work, but they're not very drastic. Perhaps the formulas could be tweaked. If I recall correctly, the algorithm basically tries to treat every consumer of a ware equally, except that somebody with high priority gets as many wares as if they were actually multiple buildings. So if you have lots of old low priority buildings, they still can count for more than one new high priority building.

Ahhh--- thank you, Sir, for that bit of insight! I was never too sure whether this really works myself. That explains it well.

Don't you think that ""high priority" should actually mean "served before anything else" I would welcome that change. Since you were talking about possibly tweaking this yourself, I'll put this on the wishlist.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote