Latest Posts

Topic: Geologist search behavior

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-19, 18:04

Just found that some of the arguments and ideas had been discussed also 2 years ago face-grin.png

Everlasting task face-wink.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-20, 14:23

WorldSavior wrote:

So some of you would like to annoy everyone via changing the game a lot by making wells very bad.

But why at all? Currently, water in the ground can make wells 50% faster, isn't that nice enough?

Don't forget that wells will trigger annoying messages "no water found" if their productivity is below 33%. As the bug that messages of this kind cannot be stopped isn't fixed yet, this could lead to tons of message spam.

I think it depends on personal flavour which things are annoying people. So if you have fun to expand fast and grow up your military it might be annoying. But if you have fun to manage a complex economy with a somewhat realistic behaviour someone (me for example) wouldn't find it annoying to have wells that aren't an endless supply. In fact I was somewhat disappointed when I found out that the design of the wells does not really take into consideration whether there is water or not. So with the changes I proposed you need to fix the value for no water found as well which is just a numbers change in lua.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-22, 10:24

I think the first step to help this discussion is to make the default resources viewable in the editor. So no one has to search in the lau files for them and this will help map designers also.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2017-12-27, 16:32

hessenfarmer wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Don't forget that wells will trigger annoying messages "no water found" if their productivity is below 33%. As the bug that messages of this kind cannot be stopped isn't fixed yet, this could lead to tons of message spam.

But if you have fun to manage a complex economy with a somewhat realistic behaviour someone (me for example) wouldn't find it annoying to have wells that aren't an endless supply.

Are you speaking of the same thing?

I have no problems with wells getting empty (except that many maps would need revisiting etc.), but if the actual performance of a well is around 30%, and there is random fluctuations: I would definitely be annoyed, if that single well emits performance degradation warnings every few minutes.

Would this problem go away, if each building could only send one message of this kind? What problems would a limitation like this create?

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-27, 17:03

kaputtnik wrote:

Just found that some of the arguments and ideas had been discussed also 2 years ago face-grin.png

Everlasting task face-wink.png

Very good

hessenfarmer wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

So some of you would like to annoy everyone via changing the game a lot by making wells very bad.

But why at all? Currently, water in the ground can make wells 50% faster, isn't that nice enough?

I think it depends on personal flavour which things are annoying people. So if you have fun to expand fast and grow up your military it might be annoying. But if you have fun to manage a complex economy with a somewhat realistic behaviour someone (me for example) wouldn't find it annoying to have wells that aren't an endless supply. In fact I was somewhat disappointed when I found out that the design of the wells does not really take into consideration whether there is water or not. So with the changes I proposed you need to fix the value for no water found as well which is just a numbers change in lua.

If you think so... Maybe you'd need a new tribe face-wink.png

teppo wrote:

I have no problems with wells getting empty (except that many maps would need revisiting etc.), but if the actual performance of a well is around 30%, and there is random fluctuations: I would definitely be annoyed, if that single well emits performance degradation warnings every few minutes.

Would this problem go away, if each building could only send one message of this kind? What problems would a limitation like this create?

Good idea. Wells, mines and quarries should send the message only once, as their resources will never come back.

This would only be a problem for players who like to delete every message. But I think it's not a good strategy to delete such a message, anyway. And they can look at the message in the message trash box.

Another problem could be there if in the future there would be some features which allow to create new water, ores and stones... In that case, the buildings should send the message more often again...

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote