Top Quote
TomatoEddie
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-12-03, 22:10

> *sakoyashidev wrote:*
>
> Btw if you need some hq sound effects for ur projects , I prefer using this website
> https://www.lucidsamples.com/15-sound-effects-packs

hello, Sakoyashidev,

thank you very much for the information.
also, sorry for my delayed reply; i've been away for a week or a bit longer doing some ambisonic field recordings (capturing the sound of streams, lakes, rivers, wind, rain, etc.) in farms and ranches far 150 miles (± 250 km) from where i currently am (Sao Paulo, Brazil).
it was good to be away; besides breathing a better air, i also used my spare time to finish transcribing Widelands' music.
i will have a deep look at the link you provided; once again, my gratitude for your help.

cheers, and i wish you a great week.

Eddie

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-04, 08:32

Those sound effects packs aren't released under a GPL-compatible license.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-04, 10:01

I guess the post is some kind of spam.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
TomatoEddie
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-12-05, 02:52

> *GunChleoc wrote:*
>
> Those sound effects packs aren't released under a GPL-compatible license.

hello, GunChleoc,

i hope this finds you well.
you're right. i checked their site yesterday; the sounds, besides being relatively expensive, are quite usual.
nothing new, there. i believe Kaputtnik is also right: perhaps some slavic (sakoyashidev is a slavic name) crawler posted the message? :-)

this past week, i took a field trip and recorded several hours of all sorts of country ambiences in an aural format close to ambisonics. as i write, i'm editing these files (main L and R + five Stems for each ambience, totaling seven tracks), trying to devise their possible loop points, equalising some stems so to valorise part of its elements (especially insects), etc.
since they are my personal sounds, i'd like to know if any could be used in Widelands; if so, the legal approach to do it.

i also finished the remake of Widelands' Opening Title, and uploaded it to my Google Drive in two formats:

Opening Titles format OGG
Opening Titles format Wave

i truly hope you folks like it.

i'm almost done with the transcriptions from all 26 themes used in the game; these following couple weeks, i'll try to have them all re-recorded. also, i'll start studying the sound effects, in order to see if some (especially ambiences) may be improved.

i wish you all a wonderful week, and hope to hear from you soon.

kind regards,

E.

Edited: 2017-12-05, 02:52

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-05, 09:01

I think it sounds great face-smile.png

It's not as catchy as the old version, so I think we should have the original melody more prominent in the main menus. I like it as an in-game variation though, where I find the original too catchy. The strings feel a bit laggy? Also, it could be longer to have more variation.

And yes, everything that you have made yourself you can contribute. You are the owner of the copyright, and you can release it under any license you like - even multiple licenses.

All our current music tracks and sounds are released under the GPL ,version 2+ or newer, so any derivatives of those tracks will have to be under the same license only.

Anything that's 100% made by you could also be licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0. This is actually more appropriate for artwork than the GPL, but a lot of our contributions were made before the Creative Commons existed.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
TomatoEddie
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-12-05, 21:08

hello, GunChleoc;

hope everything is well with you and all.

> *GunChleoc wrote:*
>
> I think it sounds great :)
> It's not as catchy as the old version, so I think we should have the original melody more prominent in the main menus. I like it as an in-game variation though, where I find the original too catchy. The strings feel a bit laggy? Also, it could be longer to have more variation.

the two main elements of the older version — rhythmic pulse (given by the snare drum) and melody (played by the Horns) — were reallocated: the pulse in this version was played by a symphonic snare doubled by the contrabassi, celli, and violas sections, while the melody was played first by a Bansuri flute, then a (fake) castrato tenor, then a small two-horn section. the violins I and II sections were purposely laggy so to avoid too much tension with the melody: up to the last four bars, all their attacks were up-bowed and in a crescendo to give a sense of delay. that can be changed if it bothers; it was a choice i made in order to avoid melodic conflict.

it's good to be able to recreate the original music, GunChleoc; the process might be longer, but the resulting benefits make it worth.

> And yes, everything that you have made yourself you can contribute. You are the owner of the copyright, and you can release it under any license you like - even multiple licenses.
> All our current music tracks and sounds are released under the GPL ,version 2+ or newer, so any derivatives of those tracks will have to be under the same license only.

because my role during this first stage will be mostly of an arranger, i guess my work will fall under this description: derivative material. i then ask you, if possible, to handle these legal aspects.
further, i am planning to have the scores transcribed electronically using a cross-platform format such as XML — which has been around for almost 15 years, can be freely used under a Public License, and is valid for several notation softwares and MIDI editors. i will be probably working with MuseScore v.2.1, a OS X free professional music notation app also licensed under GNU GPL; that way, any licensing problems softwares such as Finale or Sibelius (including Avid Scorch) might create will be avoided.

> Anything that's 100% made by you could also be licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0. This is actually more appropriate for artwork than the GPL, but a lot of our contributions were made before the Creative Commons existed.

thanks very much for your time as well as the explanation.
if you folks believe more music cues other than the existing should be composed and produced, please let me know.

best regards to all,

E.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-06, 08:36

MuseScore compatible sounds great face-smile.png

Yes, any of your material that you rearrange will automatically fall under the GPL when you publish it.

As I said, I think you have done a great job on arranging the tune for an in-game background, but for the main menu, the melody has to be more prominent. And I like to nitpick things to make them even better face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-07, 20:21

TomatoEddie - I finally got around to listen to your new arrangement. It is way above the standard we had before for music mastering, and it sounds very awesome to me. I agree with Gun that the melody could carry a bit more. Also, as it is the opening title, I wonder if it is possible to downplay the marching drums a bit - or even remove them. They are very militaristic, and I find this aspect should not be enforced, since Widelands is mainly about exploring and building up. The rest of your arrangement excites a sense of wonder for exploring in me - which fits perfectly.

Wow, I cannot wait what else you come up with!

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-04-22, 21:35

TomatoEddie wrote:

i also finished the remake of Widelands' Opening Title, and uploaded it to my Google Drive in two formats:

i truly hope you folks like it.

This is high quality stuff, Eddie, especially the first 40 secs. Well done!

Top Quote