Latest Posts

Topic: Crickets; could a sound could be joined with a terrain?

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-21, 09:36

Currently there are only sound of birds when placing trees on a map. I thought maybe it could be nice if we have also sound of crickets? This sound could be used when placing palm trees to indicate a more hot area. Here is the sound file. Currently i test this file and try to adjust the volume and make different files with other length or parts of silence.
What do you think of this?

The idea to spend some time on sound files comes to me during working on the terrain water lily... it would be great to hear a frog croaking face-grin.png Of course the sound has to be not too noisy.

Is it possible (or wishable) to have a sound file played when placing a type of terrain?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-21, 15:25

It should certainly be possible if you add it to the animation code.

Edited: 2016-01-21, 15:26

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-21, 17:54

I couldn't find an animation table related to the terrains, but i think it would maybe too much sound if we join sounds with terrains.

I decided to join the frog sound with the 3 types of grass immovable. There is a branch available so everyone could test this. I believe they are not disturbing face-smile.png

You don't have to compile the branch, just use the datadir option like:

./widelands --datadir=/path/to/branch

For windows user it must be something like:

widelands --datadir=C:\path\to\branch

Top Quote
TomatoEddie
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-11-21, 21:12

> *kaputtnik wrote:*
>
> Currently there are only sound of birds when placing trees on a map. I thought maybe it could be nice if we have also sound of crickets? This sound could be used when placing palm trees to indicate a more hot area. (http://home.arcor.de/frank.ue/sound/crickets2_01.ogg). Currently i test this file and try to adjust the volume and make different files with other length or parts of silence.

hello, Kaputnik,

i have a large library of sound effects and ambiences — around 240 GB of wav and aiff files —; please feel free to ask for whatever you need.

cheers,

Eddie

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-22, 13:42

There are already cricket sounds at palm trees in the game and they can be quite annoying. I cannot make your soundfile working...

I love it if the terrain is silent (wasteland terrain), i don't like bird sounds neither.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-22, 16:02

TomatoEddie wrote:

i have a large library of sound effects and ambiences — around 240 GB of wav and aiff files —; please feel free to ask for whatever you need.

Thanks for your offer face-smile.png I do not have any ideas at the Moment for additional ambient sounds for now.

WorldSavior wrote:

There are already cricket sounds at palm trees in the game and they can be quite annoying. I cannot make your soundfile working...

I like the cricket sounds face-smile.png (Maybe because i added them to the game? face-grin.png )
My free online space was killed by the provider, so all old links aren't valid anymore face-sad.png And i didn't took the effort to upload the files to another place and correct all old links.

I love it if the terrain is silent (wasteland terrain), i don't like bird sounds neither.

From what i remember you don't like any sounds face-wink.png But i think sticking a sound to a terrain is a bad idea.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-22, 16:32

Damn! I didn't see that this thread is super old, I thought it would be a fresh one face-grin.png

Sorry...

kaputtnik wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

I like the cricket sounds face-smile.png (Maybe because i added them to the game? face-grin.png )

I wonder if you've ever played a long match at a huge palm map (f. e. The old Nile or The Great Escape) with normal sound volume face-wink.png

From what i remember you don't like any sounds face-wink.png

Not really face-wink.png I like many sounds in the game, i just don't like the annoying ones face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-22, 18:52

TomatoEddie, would you enjoy doing some work with our sounds in addition to working on music? The mix definitely need balancing - the sheep are another case in point.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote