Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2017: subscriptions started!

einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-20, 00:04

My strategy is quite well described.
Here: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/docs/StrategyByEinstein/StrategyForWidelands0.05.pdf

I am surprised that one of the tricks found in single-player mode was really helpful here: I was able to build moderate size wood centre with some coal burners near it. So I was able to produce as much coal as possible (in long-term mode). The result was quite good. My economy wasn't stressed then.

Also I had several problems. First was with marble. Not enough marble on the map. Second was wheat. One farm is not the best idea face-wink.png . Then I built up many farms and the rest was ores. At the end I have depleted all gold resources and I wasn't able to build level10 soldiers any more. But it was the end of the game.

Tando is a very good player. Very good start and quite good rush into my base. I had several problems to survive this wave of enemies. But he had smaller economy. Just see the replay, zoom out and compare. My economy was much bigger. That was the difference that allowed me to build up more best soldiers than him.

From my perspective, this was the best game I have played this tournament. face-smile.png Hope Tando also enjoyed this one!

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-20, 14:24

GunChleoc wrote:

@Einstein: remove the .wss files from the zip, it will become much smaller.

Done.

By the way, what is the "wss" file for? I remember only two files per replay.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-20, 14:54

That's for syncstreams - they are there for debugging purposes.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-20, 15:50

@king_of_nowhere: How would the second phase exactly look like (for example: starting positions)? I think that it's suboptimal that you haven't already declared that some weeks/months ago.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2017-11-20, 20:12

WorldSavior wrote:

Edit: @GameDevelopers: I suggest to rename the "replays"-folder to "replays and synchstreams" or to create an own folder for the synchstreams...

It might not be too difficult to merge the two replay files into one: The wrpl.wgf is created first, and does not grow later on. wrpl-file gets its contents gradually as game goes on. Did not look at the code, though. Would it be worth the trouble?

Things would be more intuitive: One file for replay, other for syncstream.

Edited: 2017-11-20, 20:13

Top Quote
tando
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-11-20, 21:04

My Match summery (Game against Einstein) (From my Memory - without watching the replay)

Start Phase: OK (that was my plan...) (require Building-Places - Wood cuter - Stones.....)

Second Phase: Expansion to the Ore-Mountains as Main-Direction - OK Building solid Economy - (Ors, Weapon......) - OK Military education - OK

Third Phase: Reach Enemy and push back - not so successful (Einstein was very clever in giving up his Military Buildings and rebuild it ...He did not fight against my better Soldier....) - I was only one time able to catch his his "core-area" and destroy a Main-Building

We fight at 3-4 frontiers at the same time .... for hours - I did not focus at one area with my better Soldier .... Economy Switch from "Mines" to "Deep Mines" - here i made my Major Mistake: To Many Mines - forgot to build Brewers.... I focus here to mulch at my fight an lost attention at this basic - No more Iron / No more coal (to less production "wood to coal" - Einstein did here a much better job....) - At this time his Soldiers reached my level and I began to change my tactic on Soldiers Education - Plan was: one Training camp only for the Elite-Soldiers (one one Solider at one Time) and the second one for "everyone" (max number of Soldiers) - but without new Weapon nothing happen here and his Soldiers level get higher than mine..... - not enough water for the brewer.... my middle educated Soldier lost there fights against his Elite....excepted....

Forth Phase: I began to build fortress at the frontiers ..... to much of my Elite Soldiers are already dead......

Fifth Phase: Congrats to Einstein

Short Summery: I have to educate my military Education (not only my Soldiers) ! A Victory without Beer is not possible ! A Big Map against Einstein: schedule two nights !

...thanks for the game ...... I enjoyed it ......but it was exhausting too.....

tando

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-21, 00:18

WorldSavior wrote:

@king_of_nowhere: How would the second phase exactly look like (for example: starting positions)? I think that it's suboptimal that you haven't already declared that some weeks/months ago.

If we reach the second phase I'd have to look for it in detail. I would bet 3 to 4 on your victory, in which case I won't have to plan a second phase and make all the work required.

Anyway, this week I have 3 full afternoons filled with teachers meetings and parents visiting and five tests which I will have to correct and assign marks. I'm starting to think of widelands only after that

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-22, 20:57

ROUND 6 AND LAST IS OUT

I have to say, the ranking at this turn is a good representation of actual gaming strenght. will the last round bring upheval? Here we'll finally see the two strongest players battling each other. The map favors the challenger king of nowhere, who is not that great on large maps with rough terrain. real life does not favor him, however, as he got plenty of ordinary teacher councils, several extraordinary teacher councils, a lot of tests to give marks to, and who just received the newly published book in his favourite saga (oathbringer, at 1150 pages) and his waiting the final installment of his favourite movie (smetto quando voglio ad honorem, coming out 30 november).

And I have to say in advance that I won't be able to play before the first deadline. By declaring it thus, I avoid penalties. I am still considered a forfeit if I don't play before 8 december.

I've been in classes all morning, in council all afternoon, I came back home, eat and I posted the new turn. Now I go read for three hours before getting some sleep. The next two days, rinse and repeat. face-smile.png

Edited: 2017-11-22, 20:58

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-22, 22:29

king_of_nowhere wrote:

ROUND 6 AND LAST IS OUT

I have to say, the ranking at this turn is a good representation of actual gaming strenght. will the last round bring upheval? Here we'll finally see the two strongest players battling each other. The map favors the challenger king of nowhere, who is not that great on large maps with rough terrain. real life does not favor him, however, as he got plenty of ordinary teacher councils, several extraordinary teacher councils, a lot of tests to give marks to, and who just received the newly published book in his favourite saga (oathbringer, at 1150 pages) and his waiting the final installment of his favourite movie (smetto quando voglio ad honorem, coming out 30 november).

And I have to say in advance that I won't be able to play before the first deadline. By declaring it thus, I avoid penalties. I am still considered a forfeit if I don't play before 8 december.

I've been in classes all morning, in council all afternoon, I came back home, eat and I posted the new turn. Now I go read for three hours before getting some sleep. The next two days, rinse and repeat. face-smile.png

The fact that you read a book and want to watch a movie is not a reason at all for saying that you don't have time for the tournament. You'd have to give yourself a penalty, if you'd go into the overtime because of that.

(Otherwise everyone could always say: "I want to fill my free time with a lot of stuff, I cannot play")

And by the way, you haven't given yourself a penalty for going into the overtime in round #1 yet.

@teppo: How do you judge both cases?

@king_of_nowhere: By the way, you'd like to play build 19, right?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-22, 23:06

WorldSavior wrote:

The fact that you read a book and want to watch a movie is not a reason at all for saying that you don't have time for the tournament. You'd have to give yourself a penalty, if you'd go into the overtime because of that.

(Otherwise everyone could always say: "I want to fill my free time with a lot of stuff, I cannot play")

And by the way, you haven't given yourself a penalty for going into the overtime in round #1 yet.

@teppo: How do you judge both cases?

@king_of_nowhere: By the way, you'd like to play build 19, right?

meh. There was a lot of joking in that. I'm still pplenty busy at least until half the next week, and I still don't know exactly when, as they keep establishing new meetings. I could play next weekend, but I may as well give forfait if I am not prrepared. If you insist that I take a bucholz penalty for playing later, I will. It does not matter anyway.

As for my first round, I was initially scheduled to go against dershrimp, whom retired from the tournament on 13/9, forcing me to change the schedule. That's why I played later. The announcement is on page 6 of this thread. Teppo can look at it.

And yes I'd rather use build19 unless we have something that does not crash every half hour.

Top Quote