Latest Posts

Topic: Behavior after desyncs

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-17, 09:30

During the tournament game einstein13 vs tando the game got desynved because tando lost the connection. After restart tando noticed some changes (other settings). It looks like the AI took his place and changed some things. It is quite annoying when restarting a network game from a save game and every player has to check all his settings afterwards.

• Is it possible to prevent this? E.g. immediately set the game to pause after a desync happen or a player lost his connection.
  • Is this an issue for the metaserver or/and the game?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-18, 14:20

I think forcing the game to pause is a good idea - this will also help the other player notice that somebody has left.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-18, 20:54

Is that not already happening?

But even in that case, it can be annoying that AIs take players over automatically. I'd suggest to make this optional...

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Notabilis
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-11-19, 12:10

I think in some game there was a dialog presented when the network connection failed. The choices were something like "continue without the player" (and remove the buildings), "replace with AI" and "save & quit". And of course pause the game while the user (or the host) makes the choice.

Maybe we can implement something like that for Widelands, too.

Edit: Regarding your question about the metaserver: Not sure whether I understand the question correctly. But the metaserver does not have to be modified to change this behavior, this is completely done by the game.

Edited: 2017-11-19, 13:34

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-19, 16:03

Edit: Regarding your question about the metaserver: Not sure whether I understand the question correctly. But the metaserver does not have to be modified to change this behavior, this is completely done by the game.

Thank you face-smile.png It was a question where to write a bug report, but i just found an already existing bug, Multiplayer network problems go unnoticed, which handles this.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote