hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-13, 20:35

GunChleoc wrote:

~~~~ "animate=idle 500000", ~~~~

or

~~~~ "animation planting 4000", ~~~~

I like the first one more cause it separates the command from the options for this command.

but frankly spoken this is not a great matter for me so feel free to implement it however you like or just leave it like it is.

regards hessenfarmer

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-14, 10:25

Leaving it as it is is not an option for me, because it's not orthogonal, which makes it harder to learn for no reason.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-17, 20:11

"animate=idle 500000"

or

"animation planting 4000"

If it´s not too late to answer – I´d prefer to have = everywhere, but I wouldn´t be bothered the other syntax.

Graphics

I uploaded a new revision now. The new ship is complete. I scrapped the previous attempt and made a new one. It has animations, player color overlays and six build phases. Strange observance: All animations (idle and 6×sail) have 20 frames each. The fps for the sail animations is set to 10, which works fine, but if I set the idle fps to 10, some frames aren´t displayed, resulting in "jumping" images! I had to set it to 20, which is a bit too fast for my liking…

Also, I attempted to make a carrier. The idle animation is uploaded. I´m not that good at making human-looking graphics, but the tiny scale does hide a lot…

What do you think?

EDIT: I´d have liked to include the images from launchpad here, but for some reason, it doesn´t seem to work…

Edited: 2017-11-17, 20:11

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-18, 11:39

Launchpad just doesn't have that function, you'll need to attach them to a bug instead.

I like the carrier concept! The problem with the idle animation is that his body is completely straight. Try to make his joints look bent a bit, and with the feet twisted outwards, like in this picture: https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photo-girl-lie-grass-summer-nature-relaxed-image768005

Ship concept also looks good - can you roll up the sails when it's idle?

And no, it's not too late, = it is face-smile.png

ETA: Now running a game to look at the animations.

• I think the flags look great, but they are too hectic. Slow down the animation.
  • When the carriers sit up, it looks like a vampire, A natural movement would be to roll to the side a bit and use one arm to push oneself up. I know it's not easy.
  • For the buildings, how about using window frames and/or doors for player color?
  • Ships: Player color for the topsails only? It's a but much.
Edited: 2017-11-18, 12:46

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-18, 18:07

I uploaded a new revision now. It contains some changes to the 2nd scenario and (I think) fixes all the issues hessenfarmer reported.

The flag animation has been slowed slightly. I think it´s no longer too fast, but I find it rather too slow if fps is lowered further.

The ship now has player color only on the triangular sails, and the highest sail on each mast. The sails are rolled in when idle. The fps is set to 10, which no longer causes problems. Strange…

The worker´s animation now starts while he´s sitting, so it doesn´t look like he falls over any more when switching from walking to idle. He pushes himself up with the right arm in an asymmetrical movement, which looks more natural (unless you zoom in too far…). I also added joints at the elbows and knees so he isn´t so stiff.

For the buildings, how about using window frames and/or doors for player color?

Are you a mind-reader? It´s exactly what I had planned face-wink.png

By the way – the workers animation is rendered with an image size of 400×400 (with some unused space around the edges) and scale=6 specified in the lua file. Is there any way to pass a scale parameter to add_walking_animations() ? I´ll need this when I start working on the walk_ and walkload_ animations…

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-19, 16:47

Nordfriese wrote:

By the way – the workers animation is rendered with an image size of 400×400 (with some unused space around the edges) and scale=6 specified in the lua file. Is there any way to pass a scale parameter to add_walking_animations() ? I´ll need this when I start working on the walk_ and walkload_ animations…

No, I didn't implement that there yet, but it should be easily done. It doesn't need any engine changes, since that function is only a helper function to collect the 6 directions and create a bundle of animations for them.

The carrier looks better now, ships too.

I think the flags still have too much movement, maybe make the movement less pronounced?

Edited: 2017-11-19, 16:53

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-20, 21:08

New revision uploaded. I reworked the flags slightly, so the wave movement is now only half as wide and the flag isn´t tied to the poles at the bottom. It looks much calmer to me now.

I scaled down all worker animations to a lower resolution and removed the scale factor from the lua files. Widelands consumed so much memory when the images needed scaling that it was running very slowly.

The new carrier is now complete, but I´m not happy with his walking animation yet. It´s challenging to make a good animation when the worker must stay always on the same spot in Blender, otherwise I´d find it much easier. Does anyone have a tip how to make the camera follow the worker hotspot by moving automatically along the x and y axis?

I also made a new soldier. Walking animations are still missing, but the idle and all battle animations are done. He is the first left-handed Widelands soldier; he never sidesteps, instead catches blows on his shield; he deals out a quick blow with the sword when attacking; he shows off with it when idle; he falls on his knees and fades away when killed.

Opinions?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-21, 08:41

I still need to set up a fighting game.

Carriers and flags look good to me. Maybe you can make the arms of the carriers thicker, like for the other tribes? I know that that will be anatomically out of proportion, but it will be easier to see - at the moment, the arms look like stick figure arms.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-21, 09:27

Nordfriese wrote:

Opinions?

Nordfriese wrote:

I also made a new soldier. Walking animations are still missing, but the idle and all battle animations are done. He is the first left-handed Widelands soldier; he never sidesteps, instead catches blows on his shield;

Well... Since when have Frisian soldiers shields? I think that only few shields work together with swords in two hands - or even no shields at all face-wink.png

And evading doesn't mean: Soldier blocks with a shield, it means that the soldier makes a step to evade face-wink.png

he deals out a quick blow with the sword when attacking; he shows off with it when idle; he falls on his knees and fades away when killed.

Sounds creative

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-21, 17:51

Since we don't have a shield ware for the Frisians, I think the animation should match that. Or the soldiers need shields instead of helmets as wares.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote