Latest Posts

Topic: News about AI

Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-17, 18:51

In the next weeks I won´t have enough spare time to do more AI training. I´m sorry I didn´t say this earlier. From now on, I can´t train the AI any more.

I do hope someone else will continue the training. I really enjoyed watching it, it taught me a number of new strategies and it was nice to see the AI shape up with noticeable changes in every generation. The AI is (at least by my standards) really good already, though there is still lots of room for improvement which can be achieved by more training.

I uploaded the latest wai files here

In case any potential AI trainers is interested – I made a Java program to simplify training, it´s easier than always having to manually look for files and copy-paste them. Source code here (instructions how to use are included in the file)

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-17, 20:43

despite not having seen the results many thanks from my side for all the efforts you put in this issue.
How long will you be off?

best regards hessenfarmer

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-17, 21:16

@Nordfriese,

Yes, you mentioned that your time is limited, but I hoped you would be able to go on in limited scope at least ... Nevertheless, thanks for all your effort, I know you spent a lot of your time on it. And I hope there will be some other volunteer.

As for wai files, I am working on new branch ai_differentiation - to make weaker player indeed weaker and I can add the wai files there - if you dont mind...

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-18, 09:36

Tibor wrote:

Yes, you mentioned that your time is limited, but I hoped you would be able to go on in limited scope at least ... Nevertheless, thanks for all your effort, I know you spent a lot of your time on it. And I hope there will be some other volunteer.

I expect I´ll have time for AI training again in about 3-4 weeks, but I don´t know for sure yet. If no volunteer is found, I can resume training then. (But if someone does volunteer, I won´t insist on the privilege of training the AI face-smile.png )

As for wai files, I am working on new branch ai_differentiation - to make weaker player indeed weaker and I can add the wai files there - if you dont mind...

Why would I mind? If I did, I´d hardly have uploaded the files… or trained the AI…

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-18, 14:17

Nordfriese wrote:

Tibor wrote:

I expect I´ll have time for AI training again in about 3-4 weeks, but I don´t know for sure yet. If no volunteer is found, I can resume training then. (But if someone does volunteer, I won´t insist on the privilege of training the AI face-smile.png )

Well, we will see if anybody shows up.

Why would I mind? If I did, I´d hardly have uploaded the files… or trained the AI…

The cleanest way would be to do it in two separate merges, but as I have my branch almost ready I can save myself some effort.....

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-29, 22:06

While playtesting my scenarios with one of the latest AI versions trained by Nordfriese (although not he latest) I realized in Empire Mission 3 that the new AI does not cut stones just to get more building space like the old one did. Don't know whether this is depending on training. Just wanted to let you know. will test again from time to time.

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-29, 22:59

Today or tomorrow new set of training numbers will be available in trunk. But yes, the AI behaves differently. I dont know if it was trained with maps with a lot of rocks, so maybe there can be a real problem.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-30, 00:33

wouldn't call it a problem. It is just a matter how to design the map to get the desired difficulty. In Empire Mission 3 I used a lot of rocks to delay the former AI but now I could reduce them a bit and everything would be fine in every other aspect the AI is by numbers better then before. so no worries this was just meant as information.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-03, 19:45

I just had 4 AIs play on Crossing the Horizon. I watched one of them take take down a border forest in order to expand, well done face-smile.png

Only 1 of them built a port though and then didn't use its ship to explore. I guess we need more training on seafaring maps.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-03, 20:27

I guess we need more training in general... If the AI is still similar to that one from Tibor's last announcement, it is not a big improvement in comparison to the build 19 AI, probably it is even worse.

Anyone who wants to train the AI and could need advice from someone who knows how to play Widelands on a certain level can consult me...

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote