Topic: Improving economy settings

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-28, 19:34

Notabilis wrote:

Can we use a keyboard modifier for this? We would keep the current + and - buttons to increase/decrease all selected settings by 1. When the user is holding, e.g., CTRL while pressing the buttons we could modify by 10, similar how there is a "stronger" effect for the dismantle button.

GunChleoc wrote:

Yes, that would be a good idea.

+1

How about a key combination to access ware columns, and Ctrl+A to select all?

Notabilis wrote:

Would be possible, but I don't know if this is needed. A better / more frequent player should say something about this,

A world champion who asks for better players? Hahaha! face-grin.png

but in my opinion its not that often that you change the economy settings.

-1 face-wink.png

Since we can already select rectangles of wares with the mouse, a key combination would probably be a feature that won't see much use.

+1 face-smile.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-28, 19:47

I usually change the economy settings twice in the game: Once in the beginning, and once when the economy is stable. Sometimes a third time later or between, but not much more often.

So, I think more key combinations would be nice to have (+1 for Ctrl-A and faster spinning with Ctrl down) but I wouldn´t use them that often. What would be very nice to have is the option to define and save 'settings profiles' to set all target quantities at once.

I think the reason for the meat target quantities for barbarians/atlanteans is in the lua files: data/tribes/wares/meat/init.lua defines a default target quantity for all tribes. Removing the entries for BAR and ATL should remove the target setting.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-28, 21:18

Nordfriese wrote:

I think the reason for the meat target quantities for barbarians/atlanteans is in the lua files: data/tribes/wares/meat/init.lua defines a default target quantity for all tribes. Removing the entries for BAR and ATL should remove the target setting.

You think correctly, I have pushed a fix. Thanks! face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-28, 22:54

Nordfriese wrote:

I usually change the economy settings twice in the game: Once in the beginning, and once when the economy is stable. Sometimes a third time later or between, but not much more often.

We should consider this is a talk for very experienced players. For those who play just for fun (like me face-wink.png ) it should be considered to modify the starting settings. So in the end you, and maybe other experienced players can adjusted them only one time (when the 'economy is stable').

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-29, 07:07

GunChleoc wrote:

Details, details... BTW the Spinbox idea won't work, because there can be multiple wares selected which all have different values. So, we will need to implement separate buttons for the big steps and the infinity thing.

And I have been wondering: what would be the difference between "maximal" and setting the next higher ware to infinity?

You mean "minimal"? Well, if you set the next higher ware to infinity, it concerns all wares which are needed to create that product.

But if you use "minimal economy settings" for one ware, it will concern all of it's products instead.

For example, if you set iron ore to infinity, it's not the same to use the minimal setting for smoked fish. In case one, smoked fish and bread will be consumed, but in case two, the mines will only work if there is also too much bread (but all mines, not only the iron mine) or if iron ore is needed.

Is that the answer to your question? face-smile.png

I'd say let's go with infinity only first to see how that works for us. The second idea can always be implemented later if it's still needed.

It's just a wishlist-thing anyway. Or a try to revitalize a feature which has gone

Nordfriese wrote:

So, I think more key combinations would be nice to have (+1 for Ctrl-A

I think that Ctrl-A would be really superfluous. If you want to select all wares at once, one simple movement with the mouse is enough, as Notabilis mentioned.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 16:44

WorldSavior wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

And I have been wondering: what would be the difference between "maximal" and setting the next higher ware to infinity?

You mean "minimal"? Well, if you set the next higher ware to infinity, it concerns all wares which are needed to create that product.

But if you use "minimal economy settings" for one ware, it will concern all of it's products instead.

For example, if you set iron ore to infinity, it's not the same to use the minimal setting for smoked fish. In case one, smoked fish and bread will be consumed, but in case two, the mines will only work if there is also too much bread (but all mines, not only the iron mine) or if iron ore is needed.

Well, if iron is set to infinity "if iron ore is needed" will always be true, unless you have run out of coal or the Smelting Works input queues are full. And you could set Iron Ore to infinity as well to avoid those blocks. Lack of bread will of course stop the production of smoked fish here, you're right about that.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 18:34

But the settings of iron don't affect the production of iron ore directly, right?

And why will a lack of bread stop the production of smoked fish? I think that this is not what I said

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 21:36

WorldSavior wrote:

But the settings of iron don't affect the production of iron ore directly, right?

Not directly, but the iron setting will cause the smelting works to produce some, freeing up an iron ore slot, which the mine will then try to produce for.

And why will a lack of bread stop the production of smoked fish? I think that this is not what I said

It will if the economy decides it doesn't need any at the moment

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-05, 14:27

GunChleoc wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Not directly, but the iron setting will cause the smelting works to produce some, freeing up an iron ore slot, which the mine will then try to produce for.

If smelting works are existing face-wink.png

I don't know why you are mentioning this

It will if the economy decides it doesn't need any at the moment

I think that smoked fish is independent from bread.

Top Quote