Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2017 (2): early announcement

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-29, 12:51

I tried to host a tournament in march, but not enough people signed up. I will try again in september. I am giving a large forewarning because many people do not check often the news

The tournament will be a 1v1 tournament, because I didn't see enough people asking for 2v2. Minimum amount of participants is 12, below that number there will be no tournament.

You can announce your intention to subscribe, but this must be followed by a PM in the two weeks preceding the actual start. That's because I don't want anyone tellling me now they want to play and then forget about it in the next two months.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-29, 12:56

Provisional rules and maps (may be subject to small changes)

maps that are likely to be used:

• glacier lake (autocrat, small)

• the nile (territorial time, large)

• together we're strong (autocrat, large) (if one player conquers all of an island and the other conquers all the other island, the game is draw)

• desert tournament (collectors, small)

• elven forests (autocrat, large)

• another small autocrat map (was originally last bastion, but it is very easy to create impassable blocks there)

• for an eventual tie break, dolomites (so if you don't want to play on one of my crazy maps try to avoid ties for first place)

Those maps are significantly larger than those of the last tournament, because all the small maps were already used.

Enough people clamoring to change a map before the tournament start will result in me changing the map. Clamoring to change a map after the tournament has started will result in me linking to this post and sarcastically asking why you didn't speak up earlier.

Rules (changes from previous version highlighted)

SHORTENED VERSION (see the full version for details)

the tournament will be played with the swiss system.

the pairings will be declared at the beginning of every turn, so keep an eye on the forum. once the turns are declared, contact your opponent and set up your game. after the game, notify the result to me and send me the replay.

there will be one week to play normally, and one week overtime except for the long games, which will have three weeks overtime. People are expected to play in the first week. Going overtime is penalized, except in a few specific cases, most notably if you start a game without finishing it. after two (four when relevant) weeks, games not played will be assigned by forfait as a loss to both players, except for a few cases. Games started but still ongoing will be assigned by a judge, generally as draw unless there are good reasons not to. In no case a game will be allowed to continue after two (four when relevant) weeks, as all the results will be needed to make the new turn.

I, king of nowhere, will be the arbiter for all disputations. However, in the interest of having a judge who is not a player and therefore potentially biased, some old and respected player willl be appointed the supreme arbiter. If you think my judgment was unfair, you can appeal to him, but you have then to accept his decision.

FULL VERSION

0) basics

Playing which map? For each game, there is a predetermined map. They have all been announced now.
**Playing which tribe? Unlike in previous tournaments, choice is free. If both players want to see what the other picks first, blue player has to pick first**
The game version should be build 19 rc-1 or a newer development version. **The newer version is preferred, for bug checking.** Make sure to take care that every player in a match uses the same game version.
Games are hosted by one of the players or another person. If you need to find someone to host for you, ask in the IRC chat.
After every game, all players send a private message to king_of_nowhere with
    I won! / I lost
    One of the winners has to send in a replay of the game (see next section for instructions). You will receive an email address to send the replay to.
    Please also add the version of the game (as that is important to be able to watch the replays).

1) pairings and ranking.

The tournament will be played with a swiss system pairing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament). Basically, first turn is paired at random, who wins get one point, draws (can happen by agreement between the players, or by either players failing to win after a long time) are awarded half a point. For further turns, players are paired against other players with an equal score, so winning will progressively give you harder opponents, and losing will give you easier opponents. Nobody will be eliminated.

There will be **six** turns

The final ranking will obviously be given according to the score. To sort players with equal score, the Bucholz system will be used: the Bucholz score of each player will be calculated as the sum of the scores of all his opponents; a higher score means one has played against stronger opponents. If two players also have the same Bucholz score, they will be ranked according to how their direct game ended, if they did play against each other. Otherwise, the tie will not be resolved. Exception to the whole Bucholz mechanism is for deciding the winner.

If there is an odd number of participants, a forfait will be included, i.e. a virtual player who will always lose without playing. If one player retires, a forfeit will be put in his place. So a forfeit is a free win, but since the forfait will lose all games, it will sink your bucholz face-smile.png If there are two forfeits, they will be eliminated.

After the last round, if one player leads the ranking alone, he will be the winner. If there are several ex-aequo winners, then they will play a second phase with round-robin rules (everyone plays against everyone else). If that also ends without a clear winner, then direct encounters will be used to break the tie, both from the first and second phase. If there is a tie there too, then the involved players will be declared winners ex-aequo.

after the game, the players must send the replay of the game by email to me, at lainluigi86/at/tiscali.it. It is enough for one player to send it, but sending it twice to be safe cannot hurt.

2) time schedule

Ideally there should be one round per week, but up to two weeks is considered an acceptable delay. Never a turn will last more than two weeks **(exceptions are large maps, see below)**. Therefore, when a round is started, every player is expected to play within one week. Since people from different time zones cannot reasonably play except on weekends, and need a couple days to set up a game, if the turn is declared thursday or later in the week, the deadline to play will be extended until the next sunday. Taking more than one week to play will entail penalties, and after two weeks the game will be assigned by the arbitral decision **as detailed below**:

If two players fail to play within one week, then they will be penalized by -1 point on their bucholz score. If they accumulate 3 such penalties, it will instead be commuted to 0.5 points in the score (so it could make you lose the tournament if you were tied up for the first place). If they still have not played after two weeks, the game will be assigned as lost to both of them. A few exceptions below:

if it can be demonstrated that the delay was clearly the fault of one player (for example, if one player failed to be there at the appointed time of the game, or if one was only available for very narrow time windows while the other was much more available) then only the player at fault will be penalized. After two weeks, the game will be won by forfait by the player declared not at fault. Of course, if you failed to play and think it was not your fault - or not only your fault - you should send me some kind of proof that your opponent set an unreasonable schedule. Copy of mailed messages is the preferred method.

if two players did play for some time but had to interrupt the game and continue from a reload at a later date, they will not be penalized for taking more than one week. At the end of two weeks, if they produced at least 6 hours of in-game gameplay (taking into account game speed; they can get away with only playing 2 hours if they used 3x speed for example) and they sent the replays to me no later than by **the time i must start working on the new turn**, and still there is no victor, then the game will be considered draw unless one player has a clear advantage.

If one player will notify in advance that he will have problems playing one week, he will not be penalized for going overtime. If he still can't play after the two-weeks deadline, he will be declared loser by forfait, but will not face any more penalties. If you know you cannot play, you can try to agree a draw with another player with a similar score: if you find one willing, I'll try to manipulate the turn so that you can be paired against each other and get a draw by agreement.

**autocrat turns on large maps are expected to last longer, and will have longer time allowance to be comfortably played in more evenings. Regular time is still one week, but overtime is stretched to three weeks. Players are still expected to start playing from week 1, and will be penalized for not doing so. Two weeks without playing will still entail a forfait. Minimum play time to avoid penalties (and have the game assigned by an arbiter) is 10 hours and 3 game sessions, or at least 4 game sessions of 1 hour each.**

3) arbitral decisions

Since I, king of nowhere, cannot be considered an impartial arbiter on this matter, since I will also be a player, someone else, an old and trusted player who will not be participating this time (still to be appointed), will be the final arbiter for deciding which players should be penalized for tardiness and how to assign unfinished games. Though I will make the first decision in any game, anyone can appeal to him if he believes my decision is unfair.

4) lack of communication

If one consistently fails to answer communications (i.e. never answering, or never discussing game schedule; missing one message is acceptable) for more than one week, he's considered retired from the tournament.

Edited: 2017-07-04, 18:31

Top Quote
animohim
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2017-07-03, 23:32

Would be interested to take part face-smile.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 17:38

Me too. I might be busy in September though.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-07-17, 18:36

Me too I'm interested! It was a very cool tournament last time face-smile.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-18, 10:53

I'll definitely be too busy in September now.

Edited: 2017-07-18, 10:53

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-18, 13:32

GunChleoc wrote:

I'll definitely be too busy in September now.

you could give forfait the first game (or maybe get a draw by agreement) and the second game is a long game so you'd have until half october to play. basicallly, you'd only be skipping a game

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-21, 17:39

First half of October will probably be tight for me too. On the other hand, we won't want the tournament to drag out until after Christmas?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
nemesis26
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-07-21, 18:46

I am also interested!

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-30, 23:26

No matter if I'm going to participate or not, I would like to say that I consider "Dolomites" as a rather suboptimal choice: It is very unsymmetrical. But a tournament requires fair maps. How could the matches there be fair&balanced?

Furthermore I wonder when you are going to tell us more about the starting position colors. Blue vs red would be a good option for the Nile. I think that desert tournament would make only sense if it will be a match between east and west, but this still offers 4 possibilities.

Even harder would be the choice for elven forests. The starting positions of red and yellow look similar, so it would be similar to a periodic map. But I didn't think much more about that.

And have you already found the "other small autocrat map" or is there no alternative to this map here? https://wl.widelands.org/maps/tutorial-map/

So, any ideas? face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote