Latest Posts

Topic: Changelog

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-15, 09:37

When I look at the changelog, I see the following change in post build 19 concerning gameplay: "Improvements to various production sites' logic"

Does anyone want to tell what kind of changes this are precisely? face-smile.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-15, 12:23

changes in production programs perhaps...

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-15, 16:03

toptopple did a series of balancing tweaks. Details are documented in the commit messages.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-16, 17:51

Thanks for the information about the ChangeLog, GanChleog, er, GunChleoc. I see a discussion here: https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/2017/?page=1 But I don't know what "commit messages" are face-wink.png

Let's hope that these tweaks will not tweak, otherwise the whole game could topple off the top face-wink.png

Tibor wrote:

changes in production programs perhaps...

Oh, wow.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-16, 19:37

You can find the things of toptopple in his branches.

Click on the branch number in the last column (Last commit) to see what kind of changes are made in which file. face-smile.png

Edited: 2017-06-16, 19:37

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-18, 19:36

Thanks a lot face-smile.png

I think that most of this changes are just changes, only some of them are improvements... (smokery and empire inn, for example).

For example, I don't think that it's fair that the barbarian big inn and inn are made slower. I mean, if barbarians are forced to used them, they are already disadvantaged...

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-19, 07:41

These changes can certainly be discussed - we need the input of good players here.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-20, 21:36

Okay. I see a new problem of the new systems of weapon and armor smithies: If, for example, the production of iron (or coal) is low, the buildings will produce only the wares which costs less than 2 iron (or coal), never those which costs 2.

And I thought that also the atlantean armor smithy will produce only one type of shields, if the production of iron is low. So I tested it. And I found out that this is true (only producing steel shields), while in build19 the smithy will produce 50% steel shields and 50% gold shields...

Maybe it would be good, if one could choose the system while playing the game. Maybe with a new button?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-22, 14:40

Choosing the system would mean adding tons of code for little gain... I think an option here would mean that we have messed things up and leave it to the player to sort it out.

Can you make a list of buildings that need reverting in your opinion?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-25, 21:52

Both systems have advantages and disadvantages, and all disadvantages can be compensated by micromanaging of the players. It's hard to say which system is better, and it depends on the building.

To say it clear: I thought that the current system of smithies is how it is, because if the production of one ware (like iron) is low, there is still a chance that products - which cost 2 pieces of that ware - are produced.

What I don't understand when I look at the new system of toptopple: armor/weapon smithies always skip the production of a ware if resources are missing, but other productionsites don't do that: They still have some sleeping times. Doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

Those sleeping times could be made very short, let's say 0.1 seconds.

If it's like this, this would probably solve the little problem of the shield-smithy face-smile.png

With the current system, you can let a Big inn produce only meals. After the changes of toptopple, this building will work slower in this case. Not because of the system, but because toptopple added additional times, and this is not fair in my opinion...

What I also don't like: Whith the changes, smelting works will produce a higher percentage of iron instead of gold if the coal supply is low. This problem could be solved with the identical sleeping times of 0.1 seconds face-smile.png

GunChleoc wrote:

Choosing the system would mean adding tons of code for little gain... I think an option here would mean that we have messed things up and leave it to the player to sort it out.

If you think so...

Can you make a list of buildings that need reverting in your opinion?

Yes, that's easy: Not a single building face-smile.png

But I would like to suggest something for the war mill: The production of the second best ax, third best ax and fourth best ax should be reverted. Then the building will not produce only the worst axes if the iron production is low, but there is also a chance that it produces the 3 best axes. That's what this building should do - because if you want the 3 worst axes, you can better use an ax factory....

Top Quote