Topic: Uncluttering soldier stats.

Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-01, 18:48

GunChleoc wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Are you sure that my soldiers were not too hard to see? They must have looked exactly like recruits. (Barbarians). This would bother me...

They don't, because we now have special animations for recruits. So, they don't look like soldiers any more.

I could still see he attack without too much trouble, because as soon as they start fighting, someone gets injured and the health bar pops up. It's harder to see approaching soldiers though, so you do have a point.

Which is exactly what I meant.

So, how about having the health bar always on, and the training levels hidden for untrained soldiers? This way, no training shown = untrained, so the information is still there by its absence.

Agreed.

Would the training levels for a partly-trained soldier show up for all categories or only for those he has trained in?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-01, 21:54

Nordfriese wrote:

Would the training levels for a partly-trained soldier show up for all categories or only for those he has trained in?

For all categories. We'd end up with weird tiny floating squares otherwise.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-01, 22:16

From my point of view i believe the bug and the proposed solutions are invalid/not necessary. Showing or not showing one thing (healthbar, training status) do not solve any problems (if there are any face-wink.png ). The image shown in the bug report is annoying though:

soldier flood

In this situation none of the proposed solutions will work. Mostly you will start an attack if you have promoted soldiers, so the last proposal (showing healthbar always and promotions only if a soldier has one) will not change this view. Maybe having a keybord shortcut for displaying soldier stats will be helpfull, but i don't know if this is worth the work, since no one since year 2011 has complained about that.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-01, 22:36

Screenshots with the current state of affairs (auto-hiding of health bar and training levels). Note that I also colored the outer edge of the health bar a bit, this makes it easier to see the player color when soldiers have very little health left.

The hotkeys are already implemented in the experimental branch, so if we go for them, they wouldn't create more work, apart from the code review, of course.

Stats1 Stats2

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-02, 17:00

kaputtnik wrote:

From my point of view i believe the bug and the proposed solutions are invalid/not necessary. Showing or not showing one thing (healthbar, training status) do not solve any problems (if there are any face-wink.png ). The image shown in the bug report is annoying though:

(image)

In this situation none of the proposed solutions will work. Mostly you will start an attack if you have promoted soldiers, so the last proposal (showing healthbar always and promotions only if a soldier has one) will not change this view. Maybe having a keybord shortcut for displaying soldier stats will be helpfull, but i don't know if this is worth the work, since no one since year 2011 has complained about that.

I think you're right. And the picture is very funny face-grin.png

GunChleoc wrote:

Note that I also colored the outer edge of the health bar a bit, this makes it easier to see the player color when soldiers have very little health left.

That's good. The yellow looks best, because the colours are identical.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-04, 09:06

I tried identical colors with blue as well, but it looked horrible face-wink.png

OK, so the auto-hide is a -1 and I'll remove it. Do we want the hotkeys?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-04, 10:31

When the promotions aren't shown, i have trouble to distinguish a soldier from other workers (except the second carrier face-wink.png ). E.g. in your first picture there is a soldier walking on left road (near the fox) which i didn't noticed on a quick view. Same goes for some of the soldiers on right (waiting for battle) in your second picture.

I think having one hotkey for all is not bad. E.g. pressing "L" hide/shows the promotion and the health bar. Presetting should then be "show", imho.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-07, 10:19

I have updated the branch now. So, the changes from trunk are:

• Toggle all soldier stats with the "L" key. Default is on. No autohiding.
  • Colored border for health bars

I also updated the building statistics for missing workers: If all missing workers are on their way, it now says "Waiting for worker"/"Waiting for workers" in green. So, red "Worker missing/"Workers missing" now only shows up if a worker isn't available and the player needs to take action.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote