Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Movement of troops (Battlefront <-> Back country)

corsch
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-05-29, 21:21

I don't know if it is even possible with Widelands, but it would be very helpful if military buildings in the back country would consume less soldiers by default. And as soon as the building gets nearer to the battlefront, more soldiers would be sent to the building.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 00:05

Maybe the problem would be smaller, if you could manage buildings settings already at the construction side? king_of_nowhere suggested that somewhere.

And imagine now that this construction side window would open automatically if you construct the building with ctrl+mousebutton instead of just with mouse button. Then you could set number of soldiers quickly to one and say that weak soldiers should be preferred.

Would that be not automatic enough for you? face-wink.png Probably your idea is much harder to implement face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 08:20

The problem here is to automatically lower the soldiers in buildings that were constructed a while ago, so I don't think that construction site options would help here much. At the moment, I can't think of a sensible way to automate this - how do you define battle front and back country? How annoying would it be if you actually want to keep a building fully manned, but Widelands keeps reducing the amount of soldiers against your will?

When we do get around to implement the construction site options, setting the amount of soldiers will definitely be in it though.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 12:39

I agree that automatically setting a building´s capacity is annoying. I certainly don´t want that. A way to set preferences in the construction site window should definitely be implemented. At the moment, I just have to keep the construction window in a corner and set the preferences when it´s finished, which often leads to the screen being full of windows (especially in early game or while building lots of fortifications against an enemy).

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 14:22

GunChleoc wrote:

The problem here is to automatically lower the soldiers in buildings that were constructed a while ago, so I don't think that construction site options would help here much. At the moment, I can't think of a sensible way to automate this - how do you define battle front and back country? How annoying would it be if you actually want to keep a building fully manned, but Widelands keeps reducing the amount of soldiers against your will?

When we do get around to implement the construction site options, setting the amount of soldiers will definitely be in it though.

Nordfriese wrote:

I agree that automatically setting a building´s capacity is annoying. I certainly don´t want that. A way to set preferences in the construction site window should definitely be implemented. At the moment, I just have to keep the construction window in a corner and set the preferences when it´s finished, which often leads to the screen being full of windows (especially in early game or while building lots of fortifications against an enemy).

well, you could just set them after they are occupied, since they send a message when they do. it's more annoying with barbarian taverns, you must tell them to not use bread , or maybe upgrade twice. as for the player control, I think when construction site options will be implemented, that will be enough

Top Quote
Stefan
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 18:34

I would like to have a strategic map where I can define a point or an area with hight military presents and with low presents. For example the allow to draw the battlefront in the minimap and according to that the military units will be distributet on the map. I dont know how much work it would take to implement and if something like that was allready disscused before somewhere. But I think something like that could also be used for other things in the game (for example define scouting area, defining a trade zone,...).

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 19:45

We have open bugs around marking map regions - at the moment, it isn't possible at all. It would also be good to be able to signal a map location to team members.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-31, 13:13

well, i would like to be able to keep all my raw recruits near my trained facilities, in the center of my land, while my veterans are on the borders, and that would require splitting the generic worker "soldier" into several different soldiers sorted by skill level. there was another thread for it

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-05, 15:25

I have thought about the automatic troop movement some more and decided that sometimes it would be quite useful. I recently played a huge map where I conquered lots of territory at once and I soon lost the overview: Where did I have many trained soldiers that are nowhere near the border? Where is a border protected by nothing but a few rookies?

Sometimes, it would be nice if Widelands automatically set the capacity and hero/rookie policy of military buildings. I think we should have a feature "automatic troop movement" that can be turned ON or OFF at any time during the game (default: off). It can be turned on when desired and off when not. Defining inland and border area is not that hard: There are 4 types of buildings. Buildings that cannot see the own border are type 1, buildings that can see the own but no enemy´s border type 2, if they can see the enemy border but no enemy military building type 3, if they can see enemy military building type 4. The soldier policy would be: Type 1: 1 rookie; Type 4: max soldiers, all heroes; Types 2/3: something in between (where 3 is stronger than 2).

This would have no negative effects, because it would only be turned on when players really want it. But it would be very useful in certain situations.

Top Quote