Latest Posts

Topic: Uncluttering soldier stats.

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-27, 17:22

I've dug up an old bug about visually uncluttering the soldier stats, and have implemented 4 things:

1. Health bars only show if soldier is injured
  2. Level info only shows if the soldier has at least 1 promotion
  3. Toggle health bars with "H"
  4. Toggle level info with "L"

I think we should only implement either 1+2 or 3+4 - it might get confusing to the user otherwise under which circumstances what is shown. I have created an experimental branch to play with that has all 4 features - I think these features needs trying out in a few real games to see how they handle and what we like.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-27, 20:49

As ever i am against changing things without a particular reason face-wink.png Ok, there is an old bug report, that's a reason....

From my point of view:

The current soldier stats fit very well. The main reason: All information on one sight.

Moreover there is a distinction between the different training sites: Shown promotions on left side are from one trainigs site (e.g. Trainings Camp), right from the other (e.g. Arena/Colloseum).

Showing the Health bar only if a soldier is injured is ok, imho.

Shortcuts, like mentioned "H" and "L" , for showing the stats are not good imho. Showing always the stats helps to distinguish between normal workers/carriers and soldiers when they walk around.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-27, 21:08

Actually, the one thing from the bug report that I didn't go with was changing the layout of the training attributes to just one line - this would make for a bad click target in the building windows to send away soldiers, and having 2 different presentations for the same thing without a pressing reason is just.... no.

At the moment, I am in favor of keeping 1. and/or 2. It would unclutter things without the user needing to take action by pressing hotkeys. I'm still a bit unsure which of those 2 we want though.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-29, 06:49

GunChleoc wrote:

At the moment, I am in favor of keeping 1. and/or 2. It would unclutter things without the user needing to take action by pressing hotkeys. I'm still a bit unsure which of those 2 we want though.

Showing the healthbar only when the soldier is injured looks maybe bad in the list of soldiers in a military site... i have to test your branch to have a look at it... currently i am busy with normal work, so this could take some time.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-29, 08:58

Building windows always show everything - I have made an exception for that. Otherwise, if we had an untrained and uninjured soldier, we wouldn't be able to see him at all.

Changes are only for soldiers walking around.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 00:53

GunChleoc wrote:

Building windows always show everything - I have made an exception for that. Otherwise, if we had an untrained and uninjured soldier, we wouldn't be able to see him at all.

It would be also very difficult to see this soldiers if they are not in buildings. Especially if you zoom out. And if recruits will be still existing (which might be not worth the work face-wink.png ), they will be hard to distinguish face-wink.png

GunChleoc wrote:

Actually, the one thing from the bug report that I didn't go with was changing the layout of the training attributes to just one line - this would make for a bad click target in the building windows to send away soldiers, and having 2 different presentations for the same thing without a pressing reason is just.... no.

+1

kaputtnik wrote:

As ever i am against changing things without a particular reason face-wink.png

+1

Ok, there is an old bug report, that's a reason....

Yes, it's old. Very old. Well, is it still up-to-date? Maybe the graphics have been much different at this time? face-wink.png

From my point of view:

The current soldier stats fit very well. The main reason: All information on one sight.

Moreover there is a distinction between the different training sites: Shown promotions on left side are from one trainigs site (e.g. Trainings Camp), right from the other (e.g. Arena/Colloseum).

Well, that's not true for the tribe within: Atlanteans face-wink.png But who cares...

Showing the Health bar only if a soldier is injured is ok, imho.

At least if untrained soldiers don't get hard to see, imho

Shortcuts, like mentioned "H" and "L" , for showing the stats are not good imho. Showing always the stats helps to distinguish between normal workers/carriers and soldiers when they walk around.

Showing stats by default could be possible. Still not good?

In general it would be great if you could set your preferences in the options...

GunChleoc wrote:

I've dug up an old bug about visually uncluttering the soldier stats, and have implemented 4 things:

1. Health bars only show if soldier is injured
  2. Level info only shows if the soldier has at least 1 promotion
  3. Toggle health bars with "H"
  4. Toggle level info with "L"

I think we should only implement either 1+2 or 3+4 - it might get confusing to the user otherwise under which circumstances what is shown. I have created an experimental branch to play with that has all 4 features - I think these features needs trying out in a few real games to see how they handle and what we like.

Well... I think that the current situation is very good, i don't think that something has to be uncluttered there...

But maybe the little square with "defense" of imperials and barbarians could be replaced by void, right? They don't gain extra defense....

Edited: 2017-05-30, 00:54

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 08:05

WorldSavior wrote:

Maybe the graphics have been much different at this time? face-wink.png

No, graphics are still the same.

I still think that this does need actual testing to see how it really feels in-game. What looks good on paper might not actually work. It's actually the branch that I was testing when we played this weekend and I thought it was fine in that situation, but it might not be in others.

And yes, unlike building names and stats, these stats are on by default.

Edited: 2017-05-30, 08:06

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-01, 16:06

GunChleoc wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Maybe the graphics have been much different at this time? face-wink.png

No, graphics are still the same.

Okay...

I still think that this does need actual testing to see how it really feels in-game. What looks good on paper might not actually work. It's actually the branch that I was testing when we played this weekend and I thought it was fine in that situation, but it might not be in others.

Are you sure that my soldiers were not too hard to see? They must have looked exactly like recruits. (Barbarians). This would bother me...

Or did you see a "full defense icon"? Well, even if it's the case, Atlantean rookies will look like recruits.

And yes, unlike building names and stats, these stats are on by default.

Good

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-01, 16:47

I´m not sure if we should change anything here at all… I like to see at one glance how healthy and trained a soldier is. It also helps me see the soldiers – they are (in my opinion) pretty unrecognisable without any special icons above their heads.

I could agree to toggling the visibility of stats via the keyboard. But I want to have a way of seeing the icons even above healthy rookies.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-01, 17:33

WorldSavior wrote:

Are you sure that my soldiers were not too hard to see? They must have looked exactly like recruits. (Barbarians). This would bother me...

They don't, because we now have special animations for recruits. So, they don't look like soldiers any more.

I could still see he attack without too much trouble, because as soon as they start fighting, someone gets injured and the health bar pops up. It's harder to see approaching soldiers though, so you do have a point.

So, how about having the health bar always on, and the training levels hidden for untrained soldiers? This way, no training shown = untrained, so the information is still there by its absence.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote