Latest Posts

Topic: Remove goods before upgrade (Building)

corsch
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-05-29, 21:31

I think it would be nice if a building would first try to remove it's goods before upgrading to a new "level". At the moment you have to do it manually or the goods are lost.

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-05-29, 21:43

This seems to be a common request that comes up once in a while. The current situation requires too much micromanagement, especially since it takes time to move the wares out.

Similar for dismantling: When I get the notification that some mine resources are used up, I first have to make a lot of clicks to reduce the ware limits to make the workers move out the food and drink. Then I have to remember about the mine and come back to it a while later to order the dismantling.

Philipp

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-29, 21:48

Maybe some delayed dismantle would do the trick. You set the input queue limits to zero and choose upgrade in X seconds.... But the question is what is a part of gameplay and what should be done automagically... I am afraid that if we automate too much, it will become boring....

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-05-29, 21:53

Tibor wrote:

Maybe some delayed dismantle would do the trick. You set the input queue limits to zero and choose upgrade in X seconds.... But the question is what is a part of gameplay and what should be done automagically... I am afraid that if we automate too much, it will become boring....

Clicking the ware limit buttons and waiting before dismantling seems like a rather boring task to me.

I'd rather think about where to place buildings and about the economy and transport network than about clicking limit buttons before dismantling. If I choose dismantling over burning, I already prefer getting wares over speed. Either the workers of the building should move out wares before the construction worker gets called to dismantle. Or the construction worker coming to dismantle could move out all the wares before dismantling the building.

Philipp

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-29, 21:56

Hi corsch,

there is an open bugreport for this face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
corsch
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-05-29, 22:07

Hi kaputtnik,

thank you for the information. Unfortunately I didn't look at the bug tracker. "Build 20-rc1" sounds great face-smile.png

Best Regards, CorSch

kaputtnik wrote:

Hi corsch,

there is an open bugreport for this face-smile.png

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 00:18

PkK wrote:

Tibor wrote:

Clicking the ware limit buttons and waiting before dismantling seems like a rather boring task to me.

I'd rather think about where to place buildings and about the economy and transport network than about clicking limit buttons before dismantling. If I choose dismantling over burning, I already prefer getting wares over speed. Either the workers of the building should move out wares before the construction worker gets called to dismantle. Or the construction worker coming to dismantle could move out all the wares before dismantling the building.

Philipp

I agree with you and corsch. And what about this: The workers of the building move the wares out, but at the same time the construction worker (carpenter) is called. In case he should wait a little bit before the building because not all wares are outside, he waits face-wink.png

Or we combine both of your suggestions and both types of workers do what they can to put the wares outside as fast as possible.

Probably the way that the wares are moved outside should be the default setting for dismantling/upgrading.

And because we shouldn't "loose any speed", a possibility to dismantle/upgrade the buildings in the classical way (all wares destroied immediately), could be implemented as well face-wink.png

Edited: 2017-05-30, 00:18

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 07:03

PkK wrote:

Tibor wrote:

Philipp

For me it is just part of gameplay - would you sacrifice some wares and save your time, or other way round?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 08:11

I'd be delighted if somebody would take on the bug. The milestone means that we want it for Build 20, it's not a guarantee that it will happen.

I think we should keep it simple, with 2 options as we have now:

1. Burn down: gone right away
  2. Dismantle: move the wares out, then dismantle.

One complication with 2. is that if the building has no worker in it, there is nobody there to remove the wares. Maybe we can create an extra working position for a builder, who can then help with carrying out the wares before he goes on to dismantle the building?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-30, 08:29

GunChleoc wrote:

I'd be delighted if somebody would take on the bug. The milestone means that we want it for Build 20, it's not a guarantee that it will happen.

I think we should keep it simple, with 2 options as we have now:

1. Burn down: gone right away
  2. Dismantle: move the wares out, then dismantle.

One complication with 2. is that if the building has no worker in it, there is nobody there to remove the wares. Maybe we can create an extra working position for a builder, who can then help with carrying out the wares before he goes on to dismantle the building?

Another complication can be that flag belonging to the building is full of wares - there is some transportation issue

Top Quote