Latest Posts

Topic: Port Spot Indicator

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-23, 21:07

To quote my last commit message in the branch - this is what I have achieved already:

Port spaces now have an additional sizeless immovable to mark them. Trees will not seed on top of it, but the player can plant and build things. The immovable will not be readded during the game once a player has destroyed it, but reappear after saveloading (-> inconsistent, needs fixing).

The anchor image has the additional effect that the player can see port spaces outside the territory now, because it's an immovable. As an alternative, we could have an empty image instead of an anchor - this way, it would block trees from seeding on it, but not players from building roads on top.

The branch also still has this bug, and when the building space reduces to a flag, we will also need to show a blue flag icon instead of a yellow.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-24, 08:43

The code for the new immovable is ready now in case anybody wants to play with it. Screenshot with quick and dirty graphics:

Portspace immovable

Branch

This would change the gameplay, since the port space is now visible before we have fully conquered it.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-03-24, 13:23

What about, instead of an anchor on the dry land, a jetty/gangplank on the shore. It could stay there even if a port is build and would still be there if a port is destroyed.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-24, 17:50

We would have to create a jetty graphic in at least 4 directions (I think we could skip directly left/right). Might also look weird if we have a long row of port spaces at the shore.

Then we'd need some extra code to determining which direction the water is.

Edited: 2017-03-24, 17:51

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-24, 18:14

GunChleoc wrote:

This would change the gameplay, since the port space is now visible before we have fully conquered it.

I guess the bluish buildhelp markers (or something similar) are needed in this case. If we need the bluish ones, there is no need for an immovable marker.

Using some sort of immovable as a marker is not a good GUI solution. A good solution is to mark a port space in the buildhelp overlay, just like it is for other build spaces, imho.

Last 2ct face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-03-25, 18:50

If you want to test a bigger anchor I had something like this in mind (took me way more time than I though btw)

edit: huh, with google drive link. I'm very sorry, I still freak out in front of bzr face-tongue.png

Edited: 2017-03-25, 18:52

Top Quote
toptopple
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-03-26, 08:37

In my vision, we need a rather - though perhaps not complete - natural complexion of the Anchor image. It should make the impression of a natural object of the world. Therefore it is also advisable to not make it "blink" in the scenery, like it would with planters also taking their node space and making them disappear and reappear. I see an advantage in making the Anchor a stable object.

There are also possible further uses for the Anchor. E.g. to counter dreaded space loss, the game could allow the Geologist to collect the anchor which would then become a tradeable object. With the Anchor removed, its node becomes invalid as Port Spot. With possessing such an Anchor an expedition ship could be enabled to create a Port at ANY chosen space on a shore (which owns a technically suitable spot). That would further add to gameplay, imho. ;)

Edited: 2017-03-26, 08:50

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-26, 13:23

That anchor looks definitely a lot nicer than my crude placeholder face-smile.png

It might be a few weeks until I can get back to this branch, so if anybody wants to snap it up and improve the code, be my guest. Just let me know. e.g. by assigning the bug to yourself face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote