Latest Posts

Topic: Port Spot Indicator

toptopple
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-03-20, 09:03

The current largely absent Port Spot indication in the running game is creating problems which I think should be abolished! These problems are present for AI and human players alike and result in ignorance of the Port Space or incapability to build the Port. In consequence scenarios may fail with spoiling the entire game.

The (unused) Port Spot in a game should feature:

a) show an all-time visible marker (unless under fog)
b) ensure the spot is usable when eventually approached by a player

To realise this the following features could be implemented (first draft)

1. prevent the growth of plants or fields in a radius sufficient to build the Port edifice
2. objects placed over Port Spots in the map editor (e.g. old maps) are removed in game (same radius as 1)
3. depict an Anchor symbol over the spot (this may appear as a large natural object)
4. prevent player building of roads or edifices which would block building of the Port (optional)

Edited: 2017-03-20, 09:08

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-20, 10:00

I think this is addressed in this bug report, which contain also a good solution, imho.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-20, 11:12

It's been a while since I have worked on that branch, so if somebody wants to snap it up, be my guest face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
toptopple
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-03-22, 18:56

I like to discuss the possibility to show a "natural" object on top of the port space, like an old anchor e.g. as part of the world (immovable), while at the same time the build space should still be active so that the Port can actually be built. Is this conceivable within the current mechanics of the game and build-caps display?

Edited: 2017-03-22, 18:58

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-22, 19:28

A pot sport indicator? Sounds very interesting!

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-23, 06:43

Yes, that would be possible - we can add immovables with no size.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-23, 07:04

toptopple wrote:

I like to discuss the possibility to show a "natural" object on top of the port space, like an old anchor e.g. as part of the world (immovable), while at the same time the build space should still be active so that the Port can actually be built. Is this conceivable within the current mechanics of the game and build-caps display?

GunChleoc wrote:

Yes, that would be possible - we can add immovables with no size.

If it should play the role of a port space indicator, the anchor has to be 'placed' on the map automatically at the spaces where a port is possible. And this has to be done during map loading in Game, not in editor. If one could place it as immovable by hand in the editor, he may place the anchor at spaces where no port could be build. I am not sure if this is a good idea, but maybe i didn't understand exactly what toptopple wants.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-23, 08:42

You are describing exactly what we need - automatically place the immovable during map loading, and hide it in the map editor. Also, the immovable needs to be destroyed if the portspace is unset, and we need to make sure that any trees etc on it are nuked.

I'm already on it, since I think it's a great idea face-smile.png

Edited: 2017-03-23, 08:44

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
toptopple
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-03-23, 14:31

That's about what I had in mind, yes. I see the following features:

a) in game on top of the Port Spot an old anchor is shown (should appear as a natural element of landscape)
b) the buildhelp blue sign should still be visible underneath the anchor if available
c) the anchor shall not disappear when the buildhelp blue sign disappears (this is important to make it a more reliable indication than the buildhelp currently is)
d) no other immovable shall be placeable on top of the Port Spot (ingame, e.g. no tree growth)
e) during game preparation, any immovable in map on Port Spots shall be removed
f) it should not be possible for a movable object to occupy the Port Spot (what about roads and flags?)
g) the anchor disappears when the Port Spot is covered by a building (building started)
h) the anchor reappears when the Port Spot is uncovered from a building again

Edited: 2017-03-23, 14:37

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-23, 19:55

I am not a fan for this idea for some reasons:

Main reason: We mix then two different ways to show buildings space. This means also a player has to learn why this anchor appears and why it may disappear. We have a buildhelp and this buildhelp should cover the needs for discovering a port. Introducing another way to show port spaces as for other buildings isn't a good solution, it's a workaround, imho.

In my opinion the proposed solution in that bug report covers also all the features toptopple describes in the previous post. I guess the additional sign would need more coding than the other proposal (bluish signs), because the bluish signs needs the same coding as introducing a new way to show port spaces but additional code to do so. Just a guess.

Sadly i couldn't argument like SirVer face-sad.png

Top Quote