Latest Posts

Topic: Interesting but also annoying

bitfreak
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2017-03-08, 06:39

Hi,

I tested the game in Debian Stretch and it looks very interesting. But as a unexperienced user, I miss the (x) button for the in-game dialogs/windows. It is very annoying to click into the map and you can not close the window that was opened. I expect that this game is therefore in beta-stage and this and other things have to be fixed. Especially the controls.

If I does something definitely wrong in this regard to play the game, so please teach me. I hope to see a improved game in the near future, so that newbies like me can also get into the game easily. I also know, that this game is done by voluntary work, so keep it up and do something better to the next versions.

bitfreak

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-08, 08:01

Hi bitfreak, and welcome to our forums face-smile.png

Every in game window could be closed by right clicking on it. This is the first thing you learn when playing the Tutorial face-wink.png How to close a window is also the first sentence in the in game help -> Controls.

Widelands is a complex game, even it doesn't looks like that. It is recommended for new players to play the tutorials to get familiar with some of the basic playing concepts face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
bitfreak
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2017-03-08, 08:50

Hi kaputtnik,

thanks for your response. Now I found the hint in the tutorial. Maybe I give it a try. face-grin.png

By the way, I miss the function of the "escape" button when I'm in-game. There is no reaction but I expect the main menu and the game to stop.

bitfreak

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-03-08, 09:16

You can stop the game by pause or page down. But a shortcut for the menu would be fine face-smile.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-08, 11:58

I agree that it would be nice to have both closing and minimize/maximize controls in the window headers, and we still need more keyboard navigation. There is a ton of other stuff I need to do for the UI though.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-08, 13:26

opening the menu with escape should be a priority, as most people are used to opening the menu that way.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-08, 19:09

king_of_nowhere wrote:

opening the menu with escape should be a priority, as most people are used to opening the menu that way.

I am not most but i would never associate ESC for opening a menu. Instead i associate it with closing some windows. Seems i do not play Computer Games a lot anymore:

In most computer games, the escape key is used as a pause button and/or as a way to bring up the in-game menu, usually containing ways to exit the program.

Source Wikipedia

Since we have no (x) buttons for closing windows, we also do not need an ESC shortcut for pausing and showing the main menu face-grin.png (Just kidding )

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-09, 12:10

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have it, it's just that I am working on other UI-related projects at the moment. Once those are finished, a big keyboard navigation overhaul would be a good idea face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote